MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

iron overload medication

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board iron overload medication

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KATHY1

Hi everyone,

Hope this message finds you all well. I haven’t posted much lately but I do check in once in a while. The following was sent to me thru e-mail from aamds foundation. I hope you find it helpful:

November 2005

Oral Iron Chelator Exjade® Approved by U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
    The AA&MDSIF applauds the FDA’s approval of Novartis’ Exjade® (deferasirox), announced Thursday, November 3rd. Exjade® is the first and only once-daily oral iron chelator approved for the treatment of chronic iron overload due to blood transfusions in adults and children age two and older.

Exjade® is administered as a drink (the tablets are dispersed in a glass of orange juice, apple juice, or water), compared to the current standard of care, which often requires a subcutaneous infusion lasting eight to 12 hours per night, for five to seven nights a week for as long as the patient continues to receive blood transfusions or has excess iron within the body. As a result, many patients may have stopped or avoided iron chelation therapy, thus risking the toxic effects of iron overload.

“Yesterday’s approval of Exjade® provides our transfusion-dependent patients with a welcome new treatment option for the potentially fatal effects caused by iron overload,” said Marilyn Baker, Executive Director of AA&MDSIF.

To learn more about Exjade®, patients and physicians in the U.S. can call 888.669.6682. To learn more about ongoing Exjade clinical trials, health care providers can call either 800.340.6843 in the U.S., or +44 (0) 1506 814899 outside the U.S.

Bec

Thank you Kathy for the info. It is a miracle that my Dad’s iron level has dropped over the last year. He was on desferal through a pump for about 6 months. After his heart surgery last year, he chose to stop pump. He hated it because it slowed down his “quality of life”. His tx have spread out to every two, three weeks, and sometimes five weeks. We feel so blessed but know things could change any day.

I will give article with contacts so he can take it to his Dr. We ahve to keep his Dr. informed HA

Thank you again
    Bec

Jimbob

Thanks for the info. I have a ferritin level of 2355. I wil find out tomorrow what the docs suggest. It is great that forum members share information on how to handle the various problems.
    Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert