MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Is it Normal to Feel Exhausted whilst on Vidaza?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Is it Normal to Feel Exhausted whilst on Vidaza?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jen06

My dad who has RAEB, has been on Vidaza for 8 months, and this last couple of months his platelet count has come right down from a high of about 300 to approx 80. His quality of life has really gone down and he seems utterly exhausted all of the time, often not getting up until lunchtime and then just sitting around for the rest of the day. Is it normal to feel this low whilst on Vidaza and if so is there anything he can do to help himself. He also has a diagnosis of Crohns disease so does not eat a lot of fresh fruit etc. because this can cause him stomach problems. Just feel at the moment that he is having no quality of life at all and would appreciate any advice/opinions. By the way he is 66 years old.

Bkwits

Is his hemoglobin low? I don’t think that low platelets alone usually cause excessive tiredness. But Vidaza is chemo, and chemotherapy can really take a lot out of you. What does the hemo/doc say about the platelet drop?
    Barb

SandyB

Jen:

My husband, Mike, is also RAEB and on a medium dose of Vidaza right now. He does feel very tired the week he is on the medication and almost a week afterward.

Barb is right, low platlets does not cause tiredness. His HGB (hemoglobin) is probably a little low. Check this out under his RBC counts.

Mikes platlets are under 20 most of the time, but his Dr. says that is not to blame for tiredness.

jen06

Many thanks for your replies. The doctors seem quite happy with his blood results, not sure what his HGB is but will try and find out tomorrow. I do know that he has not needed any transfusions as yet though. He did tell the docs that he felt tired and sick during his last session of Vidaza, and they tested for diabetes but the tests were all normal. Just wondered if there anything you can do to help bring your energy levels up, as he really seems at an all time low at the moment.

JSRN

Actually low platelets can cause fatigue. So can low whites. It is probably a combination of your counts and the Vidaza.
    My mom is on it and lately all she does is sleep. She never goes out anymore except to the doctor.
    Today he wanted her to stop it. But then he said one more course. And he wants to do a bone marrow biopsy again. I am going with her next visit so I can get some answers. Just trying things for the sake of trying things is ridiculous. confused

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert