MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Is this a hereditary or genetic disease?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Is this a hereditary or genetic disease?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marilyndw8

We are just in the process of learning that my husband has developed MDS or that is what the Dr keeps suggesting it is. Still in the learning stages about it. I have read pages and pages today from the MDS Foundation and saw nothing about it being hereditary
    I would like to know if this is a hereditary disease, being concerned about our 3 kids. Thanks for any info.

It is not hereditary. I think it is environmental.
    That is what I got from many websites and my father’s Doctor. And just BAD LUCK!!!!!!!

Donna

This has been a source of great debate. Although MDS itself is not hereditary. My Dr. has told me that it is not uncommon for autoimmune disorders to run in families. In my situation it has proven to be true. Mom had MDS, one sister has lupus and another sister is still undergoing tests. Having said that, I don’t think you need to be worried at all about your children. I’m a mom too, my brain went there as well when Mom was diagnosed – I think with any illness it’s normal to wonder about that.

Take care,
    Donna

sarah

Welcome to forum Marilyn.What is your husbands age and classification?

Terri

Everyone says it is not hereditary, But My adult daughter also seems to have problems with autoimmune. During college her wbc were always low she went through seeing a Hemo and a BMB but no dx of mds or anything else. She gets colds, and sore throats a lot. When she gave birth her doctor suggested just in case to save the cord blood which they did and it is now stored. Her drs said just for precautionary purposes.

Marilyndw8

My husband is 56. Im not sure what you mean by classification?

Suzanne

There are several types on MDS. Some types are easier to live with then others. There is also a kind of “risk scale”. Look for the FAB classifications and the IPS scoring system.-International Prognostic Scoring System- If your husband had a bone marrow biopsy your hemo should know these answers although there are still cases that don’t fit any classification exactly. 56 is relatively young and a bone marrow transplant is still a good bet at that age.
    I have been told that they have found no evidence that it is hereditery or genetic and that my children and grandchildren do not need to be tested. They told me that when it runs in families it is usually because of joint exposure to the same environmental chemicals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert