MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

just diagnosed

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board just diagnosed

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    waltraut

Hallo All

My brother, aged 40, has just been diagnosed with MDS. This is all very new to me (I am sure as soon as he is up to it he will join this forum). We live in Namibia and he was so sick that he was in intensive care for a week. They took spinal fluids there and could not determine what was wrong. I have many questions but here is one that I cannot find info for:
    He has extreme backpains, so much so that he cannot walk – is this something not related to MDS??? Can anyone advise.

Regards

Waltraut

frank
    Participant

i don’t think the backpains are relaed to MDS. i was in this age, too. only thing for me is to have blood transfusion once a while(6-8 weeks).

hope it helps.

Frank

waltraut

Hallo Frank

emailing again – did not see the “quick reply” section.

Thanks for your reply!

May I ask?? How are you feeling and coping?

Regards to you and your family

Waltraut

willie

Waltraut Did the doctors take a bone marrow biopsy? Willie

waltraut

Hallo Willie,

Thanks for asking. A bone marrow biopsy was done while my brother was in ICU. Then they only saw that white, red and platelets seemed to have dissapeared (still have to get up to speed with the terminology). After release he was seen by an internist that had the samples retested by several labs, thus MDS. A proffessor from Cape Town called and wants to see my brother ASAP.

Regards to your wife

Waltraut

bety

Dear Waltraut, Could the back pains be related to the spinal tap? You might want to inquire.
    All the best, bety

LorettaV

MDS usually causes extreme fatigue. When my hemoglobin counts were very low 6 or 7, those red cells that were carrying oxygen around my body were not doing their job and I was breathless, and could barely walk, but not because of back pain. Check his blood counts with what is normal. Find out % of blast cells (the badly formed immature cells.) If he had both a spinal tap and a bone marrow biopsy that might be reasons for back pain. Ask dr. lots of questions. Is your brother seeing an oncologist/hemotologist?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert