MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Leg pain and diabetes

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Leg pain and diabetes

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nancym

Hi. I’m writing for Alice. She had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after open heart surgery 6 years ago. She took oral meds for a year, then her doctor discontinued medication because she was able to control it with diet and exercise.

Yesterday, her blood sugar went up 50 points (from her usual fasting count of 90) and she complained of leg pain so bad she did not want to walk. She says her legs feel kind of numb and she has a hot/cold tingling sensation too. Tylenol took the edge off. Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? Mom has not experienced this leg symptom before and thinks it is related to procrit.

Nancy

gemloyear

nancym, You didn’t mention if she had contacted her Dr. in regard to this.Her symptoms could be from blood clots, one of the side affects of procrit. My husband had leg clots,DVT as a side affect and had to be closely monitored and treated. Sometimes one can feel a warm sensation over the clot areas. She should see her Dr. or get to the ER Ellie

nancym

Thanks Ellie. I called Mom right away and told her what you said. Of course, today is a holiday weekend and she does not want to fuss…Very frustrating.

Nancy

tedcapecod

nancym, if blood clots ruled out,my guess would be diabetic neuropathy.i have exactly same symtoms with mds raeb2 in addition totype2 diabetes.i am on supportive care(aranesp) for 20 months.as sugar is controled symtoms subside somewhat. good luck. ted

marlene

Nancy,

Could also be the start of neuropathy. So many things can cause pain, numbness, hot/cold sensations and tingling in the legs/feet. Peripheral Neuropathies are a symptom of something else like depletion of nutrients, toxicity from drugs, food intolerances, structural problems, metabolic disorders and the list goes on.

Start by looking at all the meds she is on. All statins for cholesterol can be the cause. Many med deplete nutrient also so find out what meds she’s taking. There could be nerve damage from the diabetes even though she has it under control. There are way to counteract the effects of many of these but it takes time to reverse damage to nerves.

Marlene

Michaela Joseph
    Participant

Have tried the drugs yet? I mean the specific medications. Commonly, proinsulin C-peptide has been found to exert beneficial effects in many tissues affected by diabetic microvascular complications, including the kidneys. Together with glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide or Victoza, Glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36) amide (GLP-1) is possible to improve the symptom of Type diabetes 2. So I was wondering maybe drugs contain glucagon-like peptide-1 (7-36) amide (GLP-1) could be helpful in solving the pain. Hope it’s helpful for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert