MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

low numbers

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board low numbers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

My dad’s last round of Vidaza was the first part of December. His ANC was right at 1500 when they started his shots. It really wiped out his counts this time, and we have been waiting for them to come back up since December. Today his WBC was .9, RBC 2.3, HGB 7.3, PLT 95, Segs 43, Band 3. He is to go in tomorrow for his first transfusion since being diagnosed a year ago. Will someone tell me what he can expect with the transfusion? I tried to reassure him that he is probably lucky that he hasn’t needed one before now, but I can tell that he is nervous.

Does anyone have any insight into what is going on? It seems that the Vidaza keeps his RBC,and HGB up closer to normal, but his WBC is now wiped out and they can’t start the treatments. His oncologist doesn’t think that neupogen is for him since he has CMML and it was his white count that was too high to begin with. This past year has been such a roller coaster for all of us. I am scared as to what happens next. Thanks for listening (reading rather) and any words of wisdom are very welcome.

sdrake

Kathryn

Hi, it seems like my dad’s white’s were really high at one point and then came way down while he was on Vidaza. Never as far as your dad’s, but significantly lower. His problem was always his platelet count. He had a very hard time keeping it up.

What kind of tx. is your dad getting? I know that with some tx. Lasix needs to be given to keep fluid from building up. I beleive that is with red or whole blood.

Well, my best wishes to you & your father. Keep the faith.

Kathryn

lindajo

I think he is nervous about the transfusion because it is possible he will start needing them on a regular basis. They really cannot predict how things will go. It is probably the unknown that makes us all worry.

Personally, I always feel so much better after a transfusion that I never fear them anymore. I have them infrequently. Once I went four years in between. I feel that I am more capable of fighting the disease with a transfusion than without when my counts get low. I think that the procedure is mostly just time consuming. It eats up your day.

Make sure you ask the doctor about irraradited filtered blood. You are less likely to have trouble with those units.

sarah

After my husband recieved induction chemo his white never came back, was always .03 with no ANC. We could never figure that one out either. It was so disappointing. He recieved neuprogen shots in stomach over 32 days with no increase. I agree about the tranfusions, will be time comsuming, but will give him more energy.

sdrake

Thanks for the insight. All I know is Dad is getting a transfusion to increase in RBC. I don’t even know what kinds there are. lindajo, you are so right – it is the unknown that is scary.

sdrake

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert