MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MD Anderson

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MD Anderson

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I just left my meeting with the Doctor at MD Anderson. I am still in a wait and see mode. My BMB has not changed much since a year ago. Blast 4%, Hg 16, RBC 6, WBC 25.4, Mono’s 9%, Plt 101. Exactly 2 years ago the counts were; blasts 5%, Hg 15, RBC 5.4, WBC 3.2, Mono’s 9%,Plt 70. The platelets are good. The WBC are on a slow upward curve. They don’t think I would see much improvement with Vidaza or Decedibin?? Since my general health is good, and I am still working with the only real problem being fatigue, they suggest I wait a while before trying anything. I agree. I’m nervous about stirring up my counts. Although my numbers are not good, they are good compared to others with my diagnoses.
    Jack R.

Terri

Hi Jack, Bob’s counts were Doing ok for awhile, It seems when His WBC start rising his blast start rising. He is now finishing his fifth round of the Vidaza, His WBC are finally back in the Normal range. Hbg is starting to come back still not TX and His reds stay around normal.
    Wish we could get those Plts up.

Are you taking any vitamins and supplements?
    Hope your counts stay where they are and your Whites get under control

Jack_dup1

Terri,
    I really believe that the Noni Capsules have helped my platelets, I have been taking them for about about one year and my platelet have gone from 70k to over 100k for the last 9 months, last month they were 137k, this month back to 101. Some are skeptical but I’m going to keep taking them.
    Jack

Terri

Bob Takes them as well, How many do you take a day???

shirlsgirl

Hi Jack,
    Glad you have stable counts…that’s great news. It’s such a ‘nail-biting’ time after a bmb, waiting to hear the numbers.

What are Noni capsules? Do you get them at a natural food store? My mom’s platelets have been steadily declining since tapering off the prednisone. Sounds like they are working for you. smile
    Wishing you continued good health.

take care, Jody

Jack_dup1

Jody,
    This is the WEB site for the Noni capsules. I think they are working, the only way to know for sure is to stop taking them and thats not going to happen.
    Jack

http://www.resorthealth.com/noni_products/capsules.html

greg

Hi, Jack. We saw Dr. List with my mom (CMML), and the only thing you should consider is that he indicated it is better to start Vidaza before things deteriorate too far. IE, better to start it too early than too late. He said is seems to be particularly effective for CMML. We’re starting to cosider it. Greg J

mommachkate

Hi Jack, Good to see that your numbers are good. I will get the nonipills for George, maybe it will help a little his plt count. We were told the same thing about the Vidaza, like Greg learned from Dr List. George should have started it much earlier, but unfortunatelly we didn,t know about it, and the doctor didn,t either. You should get some more info about it , also you have to find out what could be down about your rising wbc. Maybe you have an underlying infection? George had that really bad sinus and gum infection. Once it was treated, his number got a little better. Best wishes, Kate

Indiana Jack

Jack,
    I too am still in the same, wait-and-see mode. I had a BMAB at Rush in January and my bone marrow blasts were up to 29%, with peripheral blood blasts at 4%. Since other blood numbers weren’t changing and I had no other new symptoms, the determination was to wait another sixty days. Last week, my peripheral blood blast was 0% and my other blood numbers basically unchanged. RBC 4.33, HGB 11.5, PLT 221, WBC 5.94 and Monocytes 22.2%. The doctor was pleased (surprised?) and continued to advise no intervention at this time.

Like you, my only real complaint is fatigue, no doubt occasioned by anemia. I take Esberitox,an immune system supplement and have had neither a cold nor an infection in six months. I still work, but at a greatly reduced pace.

I’m extremely grateful, especially in light of all the bad news on the board this week.

Hang in there. IN Jack

shirlsgirl

Thank you Jack smile Jody

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert