MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS 65 years old

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS 65 years old

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Simpson
    Participant

I was told in February after a bone marrow biopsy, I have MDS 13 percent blasts, 1.3 white blood cell count. I was told I am to weak to have bone marrow transplants. I was given two years to live? That does not scare me at all. Red blood cells are low and blood in general is low. See the hematologist again October 11th. Will find out more than.

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Good luck Mark, see mine again October 17th. I will be 65 in January, diagnosed with Bone Marrow Biopsy in June. Red blood cells low but not bad, other numbers pretty normal. I evidently have the RARS variety of MDS which is evidently one of the better varieties to have( if there is such a thing), on wait and watch so far. I hope you get some better news in October.
    Take Care

garsch
    Participant

Mark I have MDS RCMD and have been getting chemo off and on since I was 63. I was getting transfusions every week or every other week prior to my transplant. My white counts where much lower than yours but my blasts were not as high. I was exhausted all the time. Trying to walk up the stairs was a real chore or just standing in the shower. I saw another Dr to get a second opinion, he consulted with my Dr and they both agreed my best chance would be a stem cell transplant. I am 66 years old and I had a bone marrow transplant in June of 2017. I have had my ups and downs due to the weakened immune system but I had a recent bone marrow biopsy and it came out negative. So far so good. I would get a second opinion about your condition. My Doctor and the Dr I received the second opinion from are both from Centers of Excellence Hospitals in the Chicago area specializing in treating MDS and other related diseases. Don’t wait too long because MDS can get aggressive and the only way to cure it is with a stem cell transplant or try to control it with chemo.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert