MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS and Filing SSDI Claim – Tips?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS and Filing SSDI Claim – Tips?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keith Scovell
    Participant

I am working through an appeal for denied Social Security Disability claim – and wanted to learn from others who have done same – please pass along any tips or suggestions – let me know if you were able to get approved or not – appreciate

Malissa Kirszenbaum
    Participant

Hi Keith. My husband is on a wait and watch MDS. I hope this finds you feeling well. I am responding to your post because I handled my own appeal on disability denial. Although my disease is Multiple Sclerosis, I may be able to give you a few suggestions. After receiving my denial, I was fortunate to be assigned to a friendly SSD caseworker. She strongly encouraged me to release and provide as many medical records as possible. I went back and re-reviewed the records I myself selected to include in my initial application and decided to authorize SSD via electronically to obtain any and all records. I made sure I provided all the names of my doctors and contact information. While the caseworkers are not really permitted to say one way or the other, she more or less told me that medical records/documents are so crucial in substantiating your claim. I actually called three of my doctors at HOPKINS and requested they send my clinical notes, etc., directly to my caseworker via facsimile. I was blessed to hear back within 60 days that my appeal was granted. I am not sure where MDS is on their list of recognized and accepted disabilities, but you can always contact an attorney for help. The downside to that is paying a portion of your award should you prevail. If your appeal is denied, you still have one more opportunity to appeal but it would involve a hearing before an administrative law judge. I cannot remember whether you would have to have counsel at this phase. Hope this helps.

Lyssa

emily59
    Participant
    Malissa Kirszenbaum
    Participant

Emily’s cited article is a good confirmation of “acceptable disease.” All medical records possible to substantiate is crucial, as they employ doctor subcontractors to review and approve. Make sure the records provided are clear and concise so that the reviewer has no questions as to your disease.

mdsfound

Hi Malissa, The SS Disability Forum might be a place to get answers to your questions http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/forum. Social Security dept. colleagues answer any questions related to the disability process in that forum. Another good resource to try is the Disability Rights Legal Center https://drlcenter.org/contact/.

Malissa Kirszenbaum
    Participant

Thank you. Fortunately, I was able to complete my appeal favorably. I just remember how very important it was to furnish records that spoke specifically to your disability. The caseworker, more or less, shared that had I provided them completely initially with first application, no appeal would have been necessary.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert