MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS and spleen

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS and spleen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maureen Van Winkle
    Participant

My husband’s doctor suspects he has MDS. He has all the symptoms. His spleen is enlarged. Is this an effect of MDS?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Maureen, Splenectomy, or removal of the spleen, may be an effective treatment option for myelodysplastic syndromes patients with less than 10 percent immature blood cells and who do not respond to blood transfusions or initial treatment with drugs that suppress the immune system.

The spleen is an organ that filters old red blood cells and platelets out of the blood stream. It also works to activate the immune system when an infection is detected.

The spleen may be removed when it becomes so enlarged that it is destructive to red blood cells and platelets, when a hard blow to the spleen causes it to bleed, or if cancer spreads to the organ.

Spleen removal is currently used to treat congenital erythropoietic porphyria, in which red blood cell proteins are not made properly, and congenital pyruvate kinase deficiency, in which patients do not produce a necessary protein to keep red blood cells alive.

A small number of reports have suggested that the removal of the spleen is an effective treatment for myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) patients with immune-related low platelet counts.

Candy Lindsey
    Participant

I have a question about this. If you have low platelet counts wouldn’t a splenectomy be fatal? My husbands platelets are very low. He gets transfusions almost daily. Could a splenectomy be something that would help him?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dear Candy, Thank you for your post. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you take your husband to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion. He should be very carefully assessed before undergoing any treatment. Benefits versus risk analysis should be done with any treatment.
    Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert