MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS hereditary?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS hereditary?

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Roy Youl
    Participant

Is MDS transferred to your kids? Can people with MDS have babies or is it hereditary? I m 33 and considering babies? Is there zny test that i should consider before? Thx

mdsfound

Hi Roy, Familial cases of MDS are rare, and individuals with familial MDS are usually diagnosed with their disease at an earlier age (before the age of 50). Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that MDS can be passed to one’s children unless there is an established history of MDS, or a similar blood disorder such as acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), already diagnosed in more than one closely-related family member – a parent, aunt, uncle, or sibling. I hope this helps.

stacey
    Participant

Roy,

I was diagnosed in 2004 when I was 34 with 5q- MDS. I had asked my hematologist that year the same question about whether my children would inherit my disease. The answer that I received was a no. In 2006, I stopped taking my Revlimid capsule used to treat the disease (you can’t take that and have children), and in 2008 I had twin girls. They are 10 now and healthy, and I feel very lucky and thankful.
    Just as an fyi, my husband and I opted to bank their cord blood because it gave me extra peace of mind. I’m not positive that it would be used, if ever needed, though.
    Best wishes to you.
    -Stacey

Richard Rockwell
    Participant

My dad died from MDS and now i have it. We were told that it wasn’t hereditary in 2000. Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert