MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS refractory cut open is with multi lineage dysphasia and DVT

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS refractory cut open is with multi lineage dysphasia and DVT

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Joey Toh
    Participant

My Mil was diagnosed with MDS refractory cytopenia with multi lineage dysphasia, yet at the same time she was found to be suffering from DVT in her leg.

Is that possible? Why is it that one can get a blood clot while having lack of platelets and coagulating factors?

Docs prescribe a short half life home injection blood thinning drug. After using it for a few days, my mil slipped into a coma because of bleeding in the brain.

Now docs are unwilling to operate her and she is waiting to pass.

Is the blood thinner the cause of her demise?
    Can the doc prescribe blood thinner in this instance?

mdsfound

Dear Joey, We are sorry that this is happening to Mil and it must be painful, but I don’t think we can determine whether or not the treatment for the DVT was indicated, and whether this was the cause of her bleed into the brain. There are circumstances when blood thinners are given to patients with low platelets, but that is determined one case at a time. This should certainly be discussed with the hematologist who is treating Mil.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert