MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS Vaccine

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS Vaccine

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TEMBO

Thanks to everyone posting to this forum. It has certainly given me some direction, and alot to think about. When we first called MD Anderson about my husbands mds, they talked about a vaccine for mds. I have not been able to find out anything about such a vaccine since we started visiting MD Anderson. I have searched to net some and find some not so new information on peptids used in a vaccine for mds. It even seem to have some good % of effectiveness. Does anyone have information on possible vaccine, available or in the works? It does sound too good to be true. Hope some one has some info.

God Bless,
    Karen

Suzanne

Karen, I went to Hopkins for a presentation on new treatments and future possibilities, a vaccine was one of the four categories they talked about. I too had heard about research
    into a vaccine at MD Anderson 2 or more years ago but then heard nothing more. The presetation at Hopkins talked about it as a “pilot” research project-that is before even a phase 1 study. The gist of it was that they are just starting to try it with humans. They were starting to use it
    with patients with CML-I believe they said they had worked with 9 people so far. The theory was that for some reason our immune system does not recognize defective cells and kill them like normal people They were usung it with people who had had the disease for at least 5 years. My notes are a little sketchy since the presentations were fairly complex even tho meant for the lay person. What I remember is that this direction is more as a preventative for relapse or to encourage the system to get kill off new cancer cells They even talked about trying a booster after a period of time. I think from what I have written in the margins that it is being used after the patient has used Gleevec but as I say my notes are sketchy and this is definitely in the very earlystages of reasarch. My Doc gave the presentation and I toldhim to hurry up in case I need it. But they aren’t even considering doing it with me at this point as a preventative.

frank
    Participant

karen,

i had joined the trial in NIH in April, i don’t know i have a good response or not, but i do have the immune response.

the trial is for low-risk MDS in HIN(what i had), the theory is the vaccine will let us to generate antibody for MDS cell, and kill the cell to unblock the normal cell. since the destroy of MDS cell will block the normal cell release, and the killing of MDS cell may help boost the normal cell creation.

the trial use 2 vaccine to make it happen, but i haven’t seen any improvement from it. i will see my doctor soon, and maybe continue the trial.

Frank

gemloyear

Frank, Go for it, as long as you don’t have any side affects from it. It sounds promising from what I’ve read on it. Good luck.
    Ellie

Dennis

This sounds incredibly exciting. Details, please! Or a link where I can get details. I feel like Johnny 5, the robot — need INPUT!

I wandered over to the NIH website (http://www.nih.gov) and was looking over the patient trials for MDS. Yes, a lot of them dealt with SCT and the warhorse drugs, but I was stunned to see the word “REMISSION” used in many places — I think they may be serious about doing something about this disease. May I shout out a 4-letter word? HOPE. There. I said it. Felt good!

D

frank
    Participant

here is the trial information
    http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov/cgi/detail.cgi?A_2006-H-0062.html

i don’t have any side effect on the trial.

Frank

Jack_dup1

I had tried ouut for this trial, but was turned down because my HLA type was wrong, didn’t quite understand it, was told 50% of population is one type, 50% the other.
    Jack

TEMBO

Thank you all for the info. I will give the information to my husband’s doc at MD Anderson to see if this would be something possible for his situation. It is exciting. I pray it will be an answer for us all in the near future!

God Bless,
    Karen

PAG2005

Frank,

I was wondering if your counts have improved since you participated in this trial. Did you receive only 1 injection of PR1 and WT1? Do you know what dose of PR1 peptide you received?

My mother was diagnosed with AML in early 2004 and relapsed within weeks and her counts remained quite low after her second induction treatment. She participated in the Phase 2 PR1 Peptide trial for AML last year and her counts have been improving. Early 2005 her WBC was around 1.9 and platelets were 18 and the last few months her wbc has been around 3.3 and platelets have been in 50’s and 60’s. She participated with the hope of preventing a relapse. The trial also included patients with CML and MDS. (The Phase 1 trial closed last year.)

I just found a Phase 2 study of PR1 Peptide Vaccine in MDS.

http://utm-ext01a.mdacc.tmc.edu/dept/prot/clinicaltrialswp.nsf/index/2005-0913

Pat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert