MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS with elevated WBC

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS with elevated WBC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carol Billings
    Participant

Hello
    I was wondering if anyone has been diagnosed with MDS with elevated White Blood Cell counts? I have very recently had my bone marrow biopsy completed and it looks like they are calling this MDS. However, it seems everything I read about MDS is a low cell count. While my RBC is low and diagnosed as Anemic, my White Blood Cell count continues to run higher than normal. I am very confused as this is all new to me. Any input would be appreciated.

Cecile Huston
    Participant

the only time my white cell count has been higher then normal, was right before I got a really bad sinus infection, Dr. said that was a sign of something going on like an infection, mine has always been below normal which makes me open for infections, I was on antibiotics 4 times last year and already once this year.

Trudy Elder
    Participant

Hi, Carol –

I was diagnosed with MDS a little over a year ago. My white cell count was also elevated. I had never heard of MDS so I spent a lot of time online trying to figure out what the disease entails. I’ve had chemo treatments (Decitabine) every four weeks since last April and for the last four months, all my blood counts are within the normal range. My local oncologist explained the disease by saying “Your bone marrow is all messed up.” The oncologist treating me at MD Anderson explained about blasts, etc. but I don’t really understand it. This is a wonderful site to learn about MDS.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert