MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Medical Marijuana

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Medical Marijuana

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TONYA BURRUS
    Participant

My 75 yr old mother is a breast cancer survivor who developed MDS about 5 or 6 yrs ago. Unfortunately, her doctor did not specialize in MDS and gave her the impression that this isn’t all that serious & not to worry about it. They’d just wait and see how far her platelets dropped. Her quality of life has diminished greatly over the past couple of years but she contributed it to just getting older. Last week her side was bothering her and the pain wouldn’t go away so she agreed to go to the hospital. We found out her spleen is greatly enlarged and her platelets are down to 11K. A bone marrow biopsy was done and she also has Aggressive Systemic Mastocytosis. We saw Dr Matthew Walter at Siteman Cancer Center in St Louis yesterday. He said without treatment her life expectancy would be 2-3 months but with Decitabine & Mytastorin it would increase to 2 years. It’s my understanding that both of these drugs only treat the symptoms since there is no cure besides a bone marrow transplant which due to age she does not qualify for. I’m curious, what benefits does Decitabine provide over Medical Marijuana if it is only used to treat symptoms? Why take something created in a lab over a natural remedy? Would anyone be willing to share their experience of being on Decitabine or Medical Marijuana?

rar
    Participant

I was almost 74 when I had a transplant 3 years ago. There was never a discussion of my age. A transplant is more dependent on being healthy enough to survive transplant. I know less about drugs. There are some that will postpone death by several years, depending on the form of the MDS. Marijuana is used for pain relief. I had very high risk MDS and no real pain. What type of MDS does your mother have? For the lower risk types wait and watch makes sense.

Ray

Steph Jackman
    Participant

I am a cancer survivor because of CBD. I had breast cancer (stage 4) and I don’t know how will I be cured but this friend of mine told me to try the CBD, at first I did not believe because my doctor doesn’t allow me to take some cannabis as a medicine and this is a fake medicinal treatment. But I read this that it really helps others that’s why I tried it but I did not tell my doctor about it. So I take this for 11 months and it really helps me a lot. I know that others won’t believe me but trust me it really does.

Chris Ballmer
    Participant

I smoke occasionally, have low risk MDS, and feel light effects of anemia and fatigue only. About a month ago, after smoking THC, I felt like I was in a room with almost no oxygen, I felt so scared I asked my wife to watch me and get ready to call an ambulance (no, I was not paranoid, in fact the cannabis was a very weak strain). I believe that with low red blood cells, and anemia, the physical effects of 1)smoking a combusted material and 2)smoking THC and the heart-rate effects could make for a temporary overwhelming lack of oxygen, possibly causing passing out, or worse? Not to scare anyone, but I suggest if you want to dabble, dabble in liquid or food forms of CBD of cannabis first or only. If you want to enjoy THC, also , go for edibles maybe. Otherwise, be careful if you’re a smoker, weed or tobacco.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert