MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

mini transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board mini transplant

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nanxy

Do any of you, out there, have any information about a mini transplant. I have secondary MDS. Diagnosed in Sept. 05. Stanford has found a non related donor and has started the process toward a mini BMT. I have read a lot and would like any feed back that might be out there.

Neil

Mini Transplants (or non-myeloablative transplants) use a less toxic chemo in preperation for the transplant than is used for the standard BMT.
    Some of the patients stem cells coexist with the donors for a period after transplantation. This reduces the risk of getting severe graft versus host disease.
    As a rule it is used on older patients, but has been used on younger patients who have not responded to standard treatment.
    There is a doc at the NIH (Dr Richard Childs) who also has had some success with them. You might want to contact him for confirmation of your situation

geebeebee

Hi Nanxy,

My mother had a “midi” stem-cell transplant that was considered to be in-between a mini and a full one. It did have a full (or nearly full) dose of chemo but no radiation. She, too, was dx with secondary MDS.

Her doctors felt this midi one, although rougher to endure and with more risk, would provide a better chance to beat the disease than the mini. She is 120 days or so post-transplant, and her latest BMB showed no MDS, all normal blood numbers, and 98.5% donor cells. It has certainly been a tough road, with a couple of real scares, but we’re really happy with how it’s gone so far. She’s still pretty tired and weakened some of the time, but she seems to be doing better month-by-month.

Here is a link to an article her doctor referred to initially:

http://www.bloodjournal.org/cgi/content/abstract/104/6/1616

Your doctor most likely will have the full version, if he subscribes to Blood Journal.

Best of wishes in finding your treatment, and let me know if you need any more information from what my Mom had.

Take care,

Greg

Donna

Hi Greg,
    I’m just wondering what your mom’s classification is?
    She is very close to my mom’s age, nothing was ever offered to her, as far as treatment.

it’s wonderful that she’s doing well.

Donna

geebeebee

Thanks Donna,

They never gave her an “official” classification. At one point they said RA, but it really progressed quickly from there.

Greg

Nanxy

Greg and Neil
    Thank you for the info. Every bit helps!
    Greg, that was interesting about your mother. Where did she have her midi stem-cell done?
    They certainly moved quickly to a transplant with her.
    again, thank you
    Nanxy

geebeebee

Hi Nanxy,

Mom had her transplant done at St. Luke’s in Kansas City, Missouri. We’ve been very impressed with the care she’s received there.

Take care,

Greg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert