MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mouth Sores

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mouth Sores

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    doreen

It seems like I have been doing so much complaining lately. Now with my counts still not ready to come up, I developed some mouth sores deep down in my throat. I never knew how painful it could be. The doctor gave me some swish and swallow so I am hoping that will help. Has anyone had problems with the sores deep down in the throat? Tex, I think once you mentioned swish and swallow? Thanks everyone.

Suzanne

Several people have had trouble with this when their counts were down.I think it is pretty common-as uaual with an individual range of severity. They will give you the names of some special mouthwashes that worked to help. Seems to me like one of the names had Magic in the title.

Jimbob

Doreen,
    I had it just after SCT. It was pretty bad and made swallowing anything almost impossible BUT it only lasted for a few days. Hope you get over it quickly.
    Jim

mamakayz

Doreen.

My wife also had this problem.
    Pretty sure it’s related to the chemotherapy after-effects, and they did give her some amazing mouth rinse that took care of the problem quickly. Can’t remember what it’s called, but I tried it for a mouth ulcer and it worked great.

Good luck
    Jon

mamakayz

It’s called ulcer-ease and it works wonders.

Jon

patti

This might be primative but my doctor always recommends 1 tsp of benedryl mixed with 1 tbls of cherry maalox. The benedryl sort of numbs the pain and the maalox coats the throat. Maybe this wouldn’t apply here though.

gemloyear

Doreen, Have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. I hope you are doing better. Still praying for good results for you. Please post when you feel up to it.
    Ellie

sarah

Thinking of you Doreen.

Neil

Recently developed mouth sores.
    Am rinsing with Listerine and with warm water and baking soda.
    The baking soda seems to provide a bit of relief, but very short.
    Will find some Ulcer Ease today.
    You are right! It hurts!!
    Neil

riley

My father had terrible mouth sores after his second round of chemo. His doctor gave him a couple of things to use…Swish and Swallow, Magic Mouthwash and Ulcer-Ease. I think two of those are alternate names for the same thing, but I can’t remember which two. I hope you get some relief quickly.

mdsmom

Our daughter suffered with mouthsores with every chemo session and it would last about 2 weeks. She was completely raw, couldn’t eat or drink, some days I would use the pain meds to keep her asleep. The mouth swishing stuff didn’t do alot, you want to make sure nothing has alcohol in it. The 3rd time her oncologist gave her one of the quinolone antibiotics-Cipro I think, (in addition to the other 3 she took daily). No kidding, her mouth felt better within 36 hours. The Vicodin never helped much for pain, but with the antibiotics she got oxycodone. The combination worked like magic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert