MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My Dad

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    riley

Katie, thanks for the update. I’ll be praying for all of you this week.

shirlsgirl

Hi Katie,

Sending positive thoughts to your Dad and to you and your family. Hoping that he’ll tolerate the ATG well. We’ll be thinking of him on Thursday. Hang in there.

Jody

katiebear

I stayed all day at the hospital and was ready to camp out all night if necessary for my dad’s ATG. He reacted pretty well considering. He did have rigors (shakes) pretty bad a couple of times. The nurses came in quick with demoral (sp) and they subsided. His blood pressure also went up a few times, but nothing dangerous. He had a low grade fever too. At it’s worst it only got up to 100.5. The team of doctors and nurses felt that yesterday would be worse than today, so that is good news. My sister will take today’s shift. Tomorrow is the actual transplant. Thank you everybody for all your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Love,
    Katie

katiebear

Hi again. My dad’s transplant went well yesterday. I have to say that after all of this it seemed almost anticlimatic. He seems to be tolerating everything very well. I think we are all waiting for the other shoe to drop, and hopefully it won’t. We did find out that his donor is from Eurpope and is a male. My dad’s blood type will also change from A positive to O positive. I know that really doesn’t matter, but I found it kind of interesting. Thanks again for all the prayers.

Katie

CarolineG

Katie

Wonderful news. I will continue to keep you and your Dad in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Caroline

willie

Katie Hang in there. Your dad is doing what he can right now – along with the medical help. Be sure that he gets up and walks. Review this with the medical staff but I think that they will want him walking as soon as possible.
    Willie

katiebear

Hi Willie,

Thanks for the advice. My dad is not allowed to leave his room, so he’s not walking. I don’t see anybody on the transplant floor walking. Right now, he has VRE bacteria in his intestine. The nurse told me not to worry as he has no symptoms at this point. I hope she is right. He is also retaining quite a bit of fluid. The past two days he has been getting lasix and that seems to be helping. I hope his kidneys are okay. I will find out next time I go. Thanks for your kindness.

Katie

BethW

Hi Katie,

So glad for your updates. You, your Dad and family have been and still are in my thoughts and prayers.

Beth

katiebear

I saw my dad yesterday. He’s doing well under the circumstances. His mouth sores are really bothering him. His ankles are a little sore from fluid retention. He started feeling joint pain on Friday. He had his pain medicine reduced again yesterday. Toady is only day 10+, but I hope something shows up soon. All this waiting is the hardest. He has yet to get any type of infection or spike a fever since the ATG treatment. We are thanking God and keeping our fingers crossed.

Take care,
    Katie

willie

Katie Ask about compression socks if he isn’t already using them. Willie

katiebear

It’s me again. My dad is doing good. His counts are really coming up fast. His mouth is healing slowly. I have a question. I called him tonight after work, and it turns out he has lumps in his arms. I questioned him about them, and I could tell he didn’t want to talk about it. I just know they are in both arms. I don’t know if they are painful or not. I just wondered if anybody has any experience with this type of thing.

Thanks,
    Katie

riley

Katie, I’m sorry I can’t help with your question about the lumps in your father’s arms. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. How is your father doing?

Nicole

katiebear

Hi Nicole,

It turns out his arm lumps are blood clots. My dad is having a really hard time the last few days. He has taken a turn for the worst, emotionally. He is still not eating that much. Everything he eats he brings back up. I think if he gets down half a can of Ensure he’s happy. He says the taste is beyond awful. He is nauseaus 24 hours a day. He’s hanging in there though. No fever or infection, which is positive. Thanks for asking.

Katie

riley

Katie,

I’m sorry your dad is having such a rough time. Are his doctors giving him anything to try to control the nausea or to stimulate his appetite?

My father never had a transplant, but after his chemo and a surgery, he had nausea and appetite problems. He also really disliked the Ensure they kept trying to get him to drink. We found two meds that worked for him and helped him to want to and be able to eat again. One was an appetite stimulant that took about three days to kick in, and the other one controlled the nausea. I can’t remember the names of them right now, but I could check my notes if you’re interested.

Nicole

CarolineG

Katie.

I’m sorry that this is happening with your Dad. My Dad has had to drink Ensure and other protein drinks on several occasions and has a hard time getting it down as well. We have found that if we refrigerate the Ensure ahead of time and then pour it over ice in small amounts, Dad has an easier time with the taste. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that he enjoys the taste but he says that it isn’t bad when it is ice cold.

I hope that things improve for your Dad quickly.

Caroline

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 147 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert