MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

my mom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    shirlsgirl

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to update you all on my mom. We thought she was going to begin Gleevec two weeks ago,however at her hemo appointment she was told they were waiting for more results (not sure which) and she was asked to come again in 2 weeks which was today. At today’s apointment, her doctor said he’d put her on the drug but she must stop taking Prednisone.So,under the guidance of her other hematologist she must taper off the Pred. and she is to come back in 4 weeks. her counts are holding…her platelets are 191,000…not too shabby.Hopefully coming off the Prednisone won’t make my mom too crazy, it has that effect on her. laugh

Jody

LisainOk

Jody,
    Aackk…I remember when my dad was coming off of prednisone years ago (for something other thant he mds) and it wasn’t pretty! Will think good thoughts for you guys!

geebeebee

Hi Jody, that’s a great platelet number — anxiously hoping that the Gleevec does the trick.

Keep us posted, and best of wishes,

Greg

sarah

Jody, will keep your mom in our thoughts and prayers. Great platelet number!

Terri

Jody, Hang in there, continued prayers

Andrea

Hey Jody,

Haven’t been on site lately. Went to Los Angeles last week, my mom released from the hospital. She had an infection and a deep vein thrombosis right leg . The Vidaza seems to be weakening her too much so they have put her on Thalidomide.

Glad to hear about your mom’s progress! Let us know about her success with the Gleevec!!

God Bless Andrea

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert