MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My son with MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board My son with MDS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vera Griffiths
    Participant

Hi All. I am new to this site, I will give a brief outline of my sons MDS.
    My son who is 33 was diagnosed with MDS at the end of March this year, he has been in hospital ever since. He has had various complications and 3 times we were told he was near death. However, he has survived so far. He had a BMT 4 weeks ago, his sister was a half match. I am still getting used to all the technical terms and I don’t fully understand my sons diagnosis, he is a single man, he has had amazing care in the hospital, but his care should he get out of hospital will mainly fall on my shoulders, my husband is having to keep his job going, he has had a fair bit of time off though.
    I am in UK, all I can say is thank God for the NHS.
    Are there any other people around my sons age or parents on this site that have had experience of a BMT, I would love to hear you’re story and how things are going for you.
    I have had so many ups and downs, mainly downs. However at the moment there does seem to be some success with the transplant, although after 21 days we were told it hadn’t worked and they were preparing to do another transplant, then suddenly there were some signs of the transplant working and an increase of neutrifils. He is still very weak, but showing signs of improvement. He sleeps a lot, a couple of days ago he woke up and said ‘I feel better today’ and he was able to sit himself up, our hopes are raised yet again. He is such a wonderful son and has coped admirably, as he says he didn’t have any choice in coping with it. But he has recovered from so much, pneumonia, sepsis and a whole host of other complications. Sorry if I’m writing to much, such a lot has happened, it’s the first time I’ve written about it, would love to hear about other people’s experiences.
    I feel for everybody who has to manage this dreadful disease, my heart goes out to you all,
    Best Wishes to all, Vera

Wendy Brizer-Maciol
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear about your very young son with MDS and his experience. I truly wish you through best and keep supporting him. My 93 year old dad recently passed from MDS and we went through 4 rounds of Sepsis, but your son is so young.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Vera,
    Your son has his age on his side. You are going through the worst part now. Do everything in your power to keep him germ free (from others) and it will allow his immune system to recover using his sisters cells and not having to fight off an infection too. I am 19 months post transplant and doing well. Always look towards the other side of his recovery. If you want to talk in detail email me pratt8075@aol.com

Greg Coleman
    Participant

I was 54 when diagnosed with MDS/MPN. I am writing to you from the hospital where I received a BMT. I too had a rough year last year. Spent 91 days in hospital total in three different stays. My wife, who is British btw, was told on 3 occasions she shouldn’t expect me to make the night. And each morning I awoke to her sleeping by my side. He is quite a bit younger than me. The human body is amazing. He has a good support system it sounds. All the best to a full recovery! Also my donor is a Welsh woman.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert