MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Need some hope again…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Need some hope again…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

I haven’t updated you all in a while because I was feeling okay about things. Now I’m starting to worry.

Dad’s doctor is still holding off on the Vidaza because of his c-diff and because his counts are too low. He’s almost done with his antibiotic (should be done today) but he still seems to be sick (the big Dia… word). He had his stool checked yesterday so we should know more today.

He meets with his oncologist on Tuesday. She told him that they wanted to see if they could get his counts up by clearing up the infection. He needed blood at two of his last three clinic visits. He has one more clinic visit on Saturday before his meeting with his doctor.

If his counts do not go up, they’re doing the dreaded BMB to determine if he’s transferred to AML.

There are too many IFs for me right now to give up but enough to make me worry a lot. I think about his death a lot more than I would ever tell him. I try to wrap my mind around it and, although I can imagine it, I can’t really accept that it’s a possibility.

I’m going “home” to Buffalo for a week at the end of the month to help my mom after she has a hysterectomy. I’ll be taking care of dad mostly, t hough. It will be nice to spend time with him on a day-to-day basis. I am blessed!

Thanks for listening. Sorry if I bring anyone down.

Love,
    Carrie

Terri

Carrier, I hope you get some definitative answers on your Dads condition and that he is doing better. Enjoy your time with him.
    Prayers are with you and your family. Hope your Mom has a quick recovery from her surgery

Kathryn

Hey Carrie,

I understand your thoughts & fears. I have a feeling the ones I have are quite similar…. The thought of losing my dad makes my heart ache horribly. I just have to keep the faith and make the most of the time we have. I remain realistically optimistic! You know miracles happen and the “IFs” can drive you crazy… You just have to take it one day at a time.

That is so good that you will be able to spend some time w/ your dad. It will probably make you both feel a lot better!

Carrie, if you ever need to chat or vent, I am only a click away. You all are in my prayers.

Take care, big ((HUG)),

Kathryn

sarah

Hi Carrie, know that you and your dad are in our thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your time with him.
    God Bless,
    Sarah

mommachkate

Hi Carrie,
    Keep your hopes up, let him know that you belive that he will get better.Have a wonderfull week with your parents.Kate

Carrie

Thank you, everyone!

Well, dad had to get blood and platelets on Saturday. Doesn’t sound good to me frown . Let’s all hope that his counts come up by tomorrow. He meets with his oncologist then.

Dad thinks he’ll be getting a BMB and he’s really discouraged. I’m trying not to be.

Thanks for listening and for the encouragement.
    Carrie

Kathy G

Carrie-
    Don’t get too worried. My Dad has been doing Vidaza and he’s had to get blood and platelets. I think the Vidaza has dropped his counts. He took a break and will be starting it again next Monday. He has a BMB and there was some change to his blasts so the doctor is encouraged.
    Hang in there – I know it’s so tough!!

Kathy

Carrie

Okay… I’ll try not to freak out.

His appointment is at 2 pm EST. I’ll know what’s up later today.

Thanks again for everything,
    Carrie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert