MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

new results

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board new results

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shirlsgirl

Hi everyone,

We just came home from my mom’s hemo. appointment and the cytogenetics are finally in. (btw…I wish these visits would get easier…they are all so stressful and so nerve racking!!)

Good news and bad news. The good news is the Gleevec is working on some of the chromosome abnormalities. The 9;21 translocation and marker chromosomes were not detected in mom’s latest bmb. The bad news is there is the continued presence of the deletion of chromosome 10. which is not good. Dr. Leber was hoping that all of mom’s chromosome abnormalities were related to the t(9;21) so he hoped that with IT gone all of the other abnormalities would be gone too. Unfortunately, the deletion of chromosome 10 is a separate problem, and there is no drug for that.

On a positive note, mom is feeling quite well and her counts are pretty good. She has another visit in 6 weeks and another biopsy later in the year. I just hope and pray that she continues to feel good for a very long time. smile

Also, I almost forgot to mention that initially mom was diagnosed early CMML…turns out that her diagnosis now is MDS with abnormal karyotype.

Best wishes to all,

Jody

CarolineG

Hi Jody,

I am glad to hear that your Mom is feeling well and that her counts are good. I also pray that she continues to feel good for a very long time.

Caroline

gemloyear

HI Jody, It’s good to hear that your Mom is responding to the gleevec. I too pray that she continues to feel well for years to come.
    I wish to thank you for thinking of Glen,it means a lot to us that others care. that’s the wonderful thing about this forum. We are meeting with the consulting Dr. tomorrow, so will post the results after.
    Thanks again Ellie

Ensnee

Jody, I’m so happy to hear your mum is doing so well, and feeling good. Interesting that her diagnosis was changed. Does that affect her prognosis? Is Gleevec used to treat MDS also, or was she put on it because of the CMML diagnosis with that particular gene dislocation?

Please give your mum my best — and hugs to you, too!

Esme

shirlsgirl

Caroline, thanks so much. How’s your Dad? Hope things are better.

Ellie, best of luck today! We’ll be thinking of you and Glen…hope you hear some good news.

Esme, Thanks so much for your kind words. I’m not sure about prognosis…I was too afraid yesterday to ask. I’ll have to muster the courage and ask at her next appointment. The Gleevec was used because of mom’s 9;21 gene translocation, and amazingly it worked! There’s no sign of it anymore. Sending positive thoughts to Hans. Crossing my fingers and toes that the pill is working.

Jody

CarolineG

Jody,

Besides CMML, Dad has Kidney Failure, Enlarged Heart, Chronic C-Diff Colitis and now he has dementia. At the moment, the C-Diff is the most dangerous to him.

I don’t even know what to think about Dad’s condition anymore. One minute he is quite lucid, the next he isn’t lucid at all. When he was in hospital the Gerontologist checked for Alzheimer’s Disease but instead he found that Dad has Dementia and Septic Delerium. He has fallen down twice in the last 2 days. He has very little balance because he is dizzy all the time. His C-Diff infection has not returned since he came home from hospital 10 days ago and his antibiotics ran out on the weekend. He eats 6 oz of Activia yogurt everyday as prescribed by the doctors at the hospital. He is beginning to not want to eat it regularly but it is his only hope of erradicating the C-Diff germs from his intestines. We can’t seem to explain that to him and have him understand. He understands as soon as we explain something to him and he even discusses it with us and asks questions. Shortly afterwards he forgets ever having had the converstion with us. We had to cancel his appointment in Guelph with the Nephrologist for today. The first fall he had, 2 days ago, was a nasty one. He fell on ice and banged his head and shoulder. I think he dislocated his shoulder but he won’t let me take him to have it checked since he cannot remember falling. The car trip to Guelph today in this storm and then walking from the parking garage all the way to the second floor Medical Wing are too much for him. We are afraid that he will fall again and Mom and I are not strong enough to pick him up and carry him. Once he is on the ground he cannot get up on his own. Maybe he will be stronger next week. We have to see Dad’s Oncologist on Friday morning and then his Family Doctor on Friday afternoon. Between the two of them, I will find a way to get them to look at his shoulder and head while he is there. The difficult part with Dad right now is that he is weak enough that he needs help but he has enough strength to be stubborn. I admire him for it but sometimes it makes it hard to convince him that we can help him. Because he is lucid alot of the time, we can’t just insist and force him to do anything. The doctor’s office keeps telling me that he is an adult and an individual. As long as he does not want treatment, we must respect that and leave him be. So, until Friday all we have are A-535 and a heating pad.
    The Oncologist actually requested to see Dad on Friday morning so that has me worried. I hope he didn’t see something is a blood test that he doesn’t like.

Mom just phoned me…..To top off the week, their furnace broke down last night on the first wintery night we have had since before Christmas. Their house is ice cold and Dad cannot regulate his body temperature at the best of times. The repairman can’t come over until late thisafternoon and even so, he thinks that they have to replace the furnace so they may not have heat for a few days. Good thing we postponed the Nephrologist.

Caroline

shirlsgirl

OMG! (((Caroline))) What a week! Your poor Dad. I feel for you and your Mom, it’s so hard watching a loved one suffer. Thank goodness the C.Diff is gone. It is such a difficult bug to get rid of.

I’ll be thinking of you and your Dad on Friday. Best of luck at his appointment with the Oncologist.

Hope the furnace get’s fixed or replaced quickly. Maybe, if your mom mentioned to the repairman that her husband is unwell they’d receive faster service? (our furnace stopped working a few years ago in the middle of winter and thankfully the man who installed the furnace a few weeks prior remembered we had young children – 1 and 3 years old – and came very quickly)

Sending positive thoughts..and hugs

Jody

Kathryn

Hey Jody,

I’m so glad that your mom is feeling well. Such a breath of fresh air! I wish her many MANY days of feeling well & good news at her doc. visit in 6 weeks.

Take care,

Kathryn

shirlsgirl

Thanks so much Kathryn. I’m so sorry about your brother in law. Will the PET scan show where his liver cancer originated from? Hoping the chemo is successful.

Best wishes to you and your family,

Jody

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert