MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Non Hodgkins and secondary Myelodysplasia

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Non Hodgkins and secondary Myelodysplasia

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Di Watts

Hi there.
    My Dad who is 57 was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins 10 years ago. He received chemo and radiation and appeared to go into a form of remission for five years. Then the tumours returned only this time were throughout his entire body. Tried various cocktails of chemo and in March this year (2005) they gave him an autlogous bone marrow transplant by way of stem cell harvesting. Instead of getting better, he has been deteriorating every day and last week was diagnosed with secondary Myelodysplasia. Needless to say its a shock and I am having trouble locating up to date information on this condition. He cannot have another bmt and is now in what they call the “supportive care” stage of receiving transfusions as and when required.
    Is there anyone out there with this condition – we really want to find some help and if there are trails or alternative therapies for him.

Carrie

I’m right there with you. My dad also had NHL about 10-11 years ago. He had CHOP and was in remission for almost 4 years. When it came back he had an autologous stem cell transplant.
    It came back a few years later. He tried Rituxan and he had a good response. Then, a year and a half after he had his last treatment, his counts went down (anemic mostly) and they diagnosed him with secondary MDS.

They first thought that they would do a donor transplant but now they say it would kill him. So, he’s pretty much in maintenance. He tried some chemo (Vidaza) but his counts had a hard time responding and he keeps getting infections so he can’t get more treatments until they’re clear. They want to be able to try Revlimid but it’s not approved yet. We hope he can make it until then.

Right now, he doesn’t seem to have any NHL that’s complicating the MDS. He’s just really sick in the hospital (over a month now).

Anyway, we’re kind of in the same boat. He’s 55 (his 55th birthday is next month).

I hope you’re near a center of excellence and that he’s being treated there.

Take care,
    Carrie

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert