MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Normocytic / Normochromic

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Normocytic / Normochromic

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Can anyone tell what "mild normocytic and normochromic anemia" means? Also can anyone really advice on what exactly the following means? Occasional atypical monocytes are noted. Lymphocytes consist of small mature forms and occasional large granular lymphocytic lymphocytes. There is slight lymphopenia noted. Lymphocytes make up 22.3% of differential. Flow cytometry shows a cell population coexpressing dim CD45, CD34, CD117, weak CD11b, HLA-DR and weak CD13, representing blasts of less than 1% of the total gated cells. this population also expresses HLA-DR and CD11b in subsets
    A: CPRP
    CD11B wk+
    CD11c –
    CD13 wk+
    CD33 +
    CD34 +
    CD45 wk+
    Cd56 =
    Cd61 –
    CD117 +
    HLA-DR +
    MDR=1 –

Any input forum is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Simplistic007

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Sorry I have no help for you on this. I take it this is your bone marrow report. Didn’t the doctor go over this with you? It really is another language unless you are educated in this. I would take it to my next appointment and ask them to go over it with you…..in the meantime you could Google it and hopefully come on to a medical website that you could use.

Sorry. frown

billboy
    Participant

Simplistic007,

There are some broad categories of classifications of anemia, namely:

1) Microcytic, hypochromic anemia. This is where the mcv and mchc are both low indicating your red cells are small and pale. This occurs in cases of iron deficiency and thalassemia.

2) Macrocytic, normochromic anemia. Here the mcv is high and the mchc is normal. This is found in cases where folate and B-12 are deficient and in refractory anemia.

3) Normocytic, normochromic anemia. Here both your mcv and mchc are both normal, ie your cells are of normal size and contain a normal amount of hemoglobin. A whole bunch of amenias are of this classification.

Sorry but I cant help you with all the other stuff. Oh Iv’e looked up the various CD XX items, however, never quite grasped their significance. Perhaps someone else will enlighten you on those counts.

Bill F

Thank you Bill F. and Mary for your input. The doctor did go over it and the bottomline was that I do not need allogeneic transplanation which is a blessing. I was reading over the copies of my report as I was curious to know more about it and wanted to know what the terminology and CD#’s meant. I was just looking to know if anyone on the forum knew more about this. It all sounds better when explained than it sounds when I read it. I appreciate your time and support. Thank you and have a great day. 🙂

billboy
    Participant

Hi Again Simplistic007,

Regarding you list of cellular data, take a look at this to see the complexity involved in interpreting your data ( I selected CD 34 quite arbitrarily):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD34

That’s why I get much more info from the pathologist’s comments than the data!

Bill,

Thank you so much for your knowledge and support.

Regards,
    Simplistic007

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert