MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Okay… here's an update

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Okay… here's an update

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

My dad saw his oncologist yesterday. His neutrophils and white count are too low to schedule his next Vidaza. So I guess we wait and see how his counts do.

He’s been having intestinal problems and the doctor scheduled a CAT scan for tomorrow (Thursday) to see if there’s anything going on. He’s had lymphoma in his intestine so he’s really worried about that. He will get results of that next Tuesday.

He hasn’t been eating a lot lately for two reasons:
    1. Nothing tastes very good with his treatments. I am shocked that he’s not eating because he is a BIG guy and he loves to eat (I share this passion smile ).
    2. (May be the biggest issue? In my mind, at least) He has …um… hemorrhoids and with the risk of infection he’s afraid of them. His oncologist gave him a lot of suggestions for dealing with them so maybe that will make a difference.

I frequent a non-hodgkins lymphoma board and they gave me a link to cancer nutrition (cancer.org) so I emailed it to my mom. I also suggested that she convince him to drink at least one more Boost a day (he currently drinks one).

BMT: No discussion of this right now. My parents meant to ask her but they got side-tracked with his intestinal discomfort and never got around to it. I’m sure he’ll ask next week.

He hasn’t needed any transfusion lately. Maybe that means that the Vidaza is working?? smile

EDIT: Here’s a link to the exact website for cancer nutrition: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MBC/MBC_6.asp

Thanks for listening (um… reading smile ),
    Carrie

Terri

I hope His counts start getting better and he starts being able to eat. Going to check out the cancer nutrition info

Kathryn

Carrie, thanks for the link. My father’s appetite has been next to nothing for a while now and I will definitely check it out.

I hope the doc. gives him some good news and I will keep him in my prayers.

Take care,

Kathryn

mommachkate

Carrie, Conserning your Dad hemmoroid, George always using the hemmoroid wipes and never get infected, even at times when his number was very low . I hope he feels better soon, and will be able to continue the Vidaza treatment. Best wishes to your Dad Kate

Carrie

Kate,

Thanks! I think that’s one of the things the doctor told him to do. I hope it helps!

Carrie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert