MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Possible Indolent CMML diagnosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Possible Indolent CMML diagnosis

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Emily Wilson
    Participant

I have been recently diagnosed with chronic monocytosis and chronic thrombocytopenia and was referred to a very good hematologist/oncologist. He performed a number of blood tests to rule out infection, hep A, B, C, ANA, etc. All those tests came back negative. However, he mentioned CMML so I had a bone marrow biopsy a few weeks ago. It came back with good results (blasts <1%, no dysplasia, or abnormal cells) but I did show increased iron stores in my bone marrow but no sideroblasts. They checked my chromosomes and thank God I have no abnormalities. When I went back for my follow up my Dr. wants to see me every 4 months to check blood counts. He mentioned that if my Absolute monocytes go above 1.5 then I will need to do something and have another bone marrow biopsy. He mentioned that I may have CMML but it could be indolent so he just wants to “watch and wait” for now. He hasn’t definitely diagnosed me yet one way or another. I wish I knew for sure.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Emily, Thank you for your post. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you go to one of our Centers of Excellence for a second opinion just to see what they think. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Emily Wilson
    Participant

Thank you for the recommendation to obtain a second opinion. There is a center in Seattle that I can check out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you need any help in securing the appointment, please let us know.

Helen Kneubuhler
    Participant

I have CMML and am anxious to hear your diagnosis,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert