MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Question about possible MDS related issue

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Question about possible MDS related issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Deborah McIntyre
    Participant

I apologize in advance for the long post. My Mom was diagnosed with MDS (Intermediate Risk 2)two years ago this October. She has been on Vidaza for treatment during this time. She gets Vidaza 5 days on, then 28 days off, with blood transfusions and platelets as needed.

Tuesday, August 21st, she woke up with shoulder pain. She thought it might have been the way she slept, so she didn’t think anything of it until a few hours later and it didn’t go away. She went to the ER (Heart issues, along with cancer, are prominent in her family), and blood work showed her Troponin was high, but not severely high. They then did an EKG which was normal. They transferred her to another hospital that had a Cardiologist. Eventually, they did a CT scan which showed a growth on her cervical spine. She goes for an MRI on Monday, August 27th.

My question is can her MDS cause tumors or metastasize in the spine? Thank you in advance for your patience.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Deborah,
    Typically MDS does not spread. It can morph into Acute Myeloid Leukemia if gone unchecked. In some fields of thought MDS is considered a pre-cancerous condition and not even called cancer. I am not a doctor, but that is what I have researched. Prayers for you and your mom.
    Sherry

mdsfound

Hi Deborah, MDS will not cause tumors. We have wonderful resources at the MDS Foundation which may help answer many of your questions. If you would like our free resources, please email patientliaison@mds-foundation.org with your postal address and we will be happy to send information to you. I hope this helps.

Kim Dahl
    Participant

Newly diagnosed with high grade MDS. 57 yrs old. My blasts are at 12%. I will be starting Vidaza injections soon to prepare for transplant. My question is what kind of see effects people have had from Vidaza? Will I be able to continue to work? Any info will help.

Lara Hunt
    Participant

Kim , you should open a new discussion.Deborah, thats very different for sure, talking to your hematologist would be best. Im sorry ;(

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert