MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Quick update before I go on a mini-vacation

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Quick update before I go on a mini-vacation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

Happy fourth of July to you all!

Dad’s still battling a fever (high of 38.5). Doesn’t seem too serious right now but he does have a few bruise-like spots on the back of his legs that they want to biopsy. What could they possibly be? If they’re really bruises, how do they biopsy them? We’re a little confused.

Anyway, things seem relatively stable now (not so crazy emotional). Thank you for all of your support…

Carrie

riley

Hi Carrie. I’m glad to hear that your father is doing a little better. The tone of your message sounds like you’re feeling better about things too. I hope you’ll really be able to enjoy your vacation.

I wonder if the docs are going to do a punch biopsy on your father’s bruises? My father had some swollen areas on his arms and legs, and that’s what they did for him. It was just a small sample from several of the bumps to see what kind of cells were in the skin in that area. In his case, they were trying to be sure they wouldn’t find leukemic cells. He said it wasn’t painful.

I hope the biopsy goes smoothly, and I’ll be interested to hear about it when you know more.

CMH64

It could be a fungal infection of the skin! If his counts have been down this is a possibility. Fungus is everywhere, all of the time. People with healthy immune systems can fight if off with no problem. But the immune compromised can easily get a fungal infection. Fungal infections are very serious but can now be treated with success due to new drugs like V-fend, caspofungin and others. A fungal infection of the skin is what led to my husband’s diagnosis of AML. The infection returned accompanied by an infection in the lungs during induction chemo and has been kept under control through a SCT and since with V-fend. Good luck, let us know what they find out with the biopsy. Cathy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert