MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Quick update on pops

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Quick update on pops

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Agustin
    Participant

i would like to first say thanks to a member on here, Mrs Pratt. She has been very helpful in my understanding of mds and conversion to aml. Without her assistance I wouldn’t have taken it as serious as I did for my father initially. At that point I started going to every dr appointment.
    He was on his 5 treatment of araness (spelling) with his previous dr with zero progress. I went to the dr appointment and asked the dr at what point do you change tactics and try another form of treatment. He kindly and ignorantly explained that it was up to my dad. I kindly had a few choice words and explained to him his name was on the door as a dr of oncology and hematology and if he knew what was best for him we wouldn’t be here. We left and I began searching for a new dr. I located and excellent dr who took us on. Step one was bone marrow biopsy, pops last and only bone marrow sample was done in March, it was now July and no testing of bone marrow was done over the 5 treatments of araness. It was from 3 in March to 16 In July. Blood samples also showed a white blood cell count of 21 and likely the white blood cells got into peripheral blood. The new dr started treatment of chemo soon after, prescribed (4) 7 day treatments one month apart. Dad started first treatment with white blood cell count of 20-21. He ended that first week at 17. He went into the second week at 14 and towards the end it was 10.1. The second treatment ended last wed and another month before the 3rd. We have a dr apt coming up next week and scheduling a bone marrow biopsy as well as an appointment in Richmond with vcu for stem cell transplant consultation. The goal is by the end of the last treatment, to
    Get pops
    Into remission and up to Richmond for transplant. He is still getting transfusions about 1 every three weeks, 2 bags.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert