MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

RAEB – T

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board RAEB – T

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Armansa

I like to know all about it if anyone could tell.
    what is raeb – t, how is treated?
    please someone to answer me, my brother was first diagnosed with MDS RAEB-T but after that (1month) AML M4. Until he was’n diagnoset with AML he didnt take any therapy, i was confused then i am confuse now, i dont know why the doctors didnt give him therapy for the MDS? I just want to know what was happening with my brother frown (

Neil

RAEB-T is a form of MDS that is a result of chemo and or radiation used to treat one for another form of cancer. The treatments usually involve other forms of chemo.
    AML can be treated, often more successfully than RAEB-t. The downside is it often transforms back to RAEB

Suzanne

When I was treated RAEB-T was RAEB “in transformation” Meaning moving towards AML as apposed to secondary MDS-from chemo for other cancers. They have since changed the terminology- I think they usually call it RAEB-2 now. But I believe that is still different then secondary -both T and 2 refer to how high the “risk factor” is-many times the # of blasts they are seeing. They did not do a whole lot of treatment for me either until I moved into AML.I tried one drug trial-at that time there were no approved treatments. There are more alternatives now but they are usually more successful with patients with specifis characteristics.Patients with RAEB have a high possibility of developing AML.

lynette

My Mother’s situation was similar to Suzanne’s. We were told exactly the same information. “T” = transformation. Usually, it is a shortened time between transformation and AML. Hence, the new terminology. Our Oncologist did not specify that RAEB-T was a result of prior Chemo/Rads. Rather, any type of MDS could be a result of prior Chemo. Every doc probably has his/her own thoughts on the subject.

patti

The classification of RAEB has changed in the past two years. When my MIL was diagnosed she had greater then 30% blasts in her marrow and was dx as RAEB-t. They have since changed it that blasts 20% and over is AML. And they make no bones about it now that my MIL has AML. It’s possible that your brothers blast count was high to begin with which by today’s standards may have meant he already had AML. Everyone is so different it would be hard to say. I think even now with the new treatments for MDS that AML still seems to have many more treatments options then MDS.

Patti

Neil

Sorry I got confused.
    Was thinking of t-MDS which is therapy related MDS vs RAEB-T which is RAEB in transformation vs RAEB-2. Too many classifications for this feeble mind to handle. Should delete the first 2 sentences of my 11/21 post.

franm

Hi:

My husband was dio. with MDS in Jan-05. Now he had a BMB in May of this year. His count was 29 and the Oncologist said that he was in AML. She took another BMB last month and it seems that he is not in AML anymore.

Problem being that his WBC is 2.5 now and he has to start taking Neupogen for 5 days in a row. Don’t know what it will be from one blood test to another. He takes blood test every Monday.

Hope this will help you.

Fran

Armansa

Thanks to all of u. I like to know how long can a men live with RAEB-T withouth dont knowing it. is it any simptom? I just cant understand how my brother died in 2 months 15 days after diagnose AML. Is it posible that he live with MDS years ago?

Neil

Hi Armansa,
    It is very difficult to answer your question. He could have had it for a long time before he was diagnosed.
    He could have had another classification at an earlier time that progressed to RAEB-T.
    He could have had multiple abnormal chromosomes that were too severe to deal with.
    At this point it is a guess as to what actually happened.
    Try to live with the memories of better times. Keep him in your thoughts before MDS and know he does not have to fight it anymore.

Armansa

I am just so sorry that he did’t stay with us. When I talk about him i talk like hi is steel alive. U r right, i must let him go…just need more strenght to do that, simply i cant accsept the riality….its very hard…very hard…i had just one brother…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert