MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Revimid and MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Revimid and MDS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John in GR

One of my sons, Jeff, is a third year resident in internal medicine here in Grand Rapids. Recently he attended a “Grand Round” which is a meeting of local doctors featuring a presentation by another doctor. The presenting doctor was a doctor from Mayo Clinic who specializes in myeloproliferative (MDS type) diseases.

This doctor indicated that there has been some promising research re the treatment of MDS w Revimid (aka Revlimid), which is a new and improved version of thalidomide. According to this doctor there was a 67 % response rate. Response rate was defined as a raised Hgb of at least 2.0 or going from transfusion to non transfusion dependent. Supposedly, this may be generally available later this year.

I do not know any other info such as how long the response typically lasts etc., and I haven’t tried to research the matter further. I’m simply presenting this as something that might be out there and worthwhile considering.

John

Terri

Thanks John for the updates

Naomi

Hi John
    I am on revlimid. Have been on it since Nov 03. Will be taking it until Nov 05. Last tx was Dec 8,2003. AS my doc says, I am one of the “poster children”. There are side effects, as with all meds, but I seem to be handling them.
    Will not know how long it lasts until I go off it.
    Naomi

John in GR

That’s excellent news, Naomi. Have you experienced side effects?? How often do you take it?

John

Naomi

Hi John:
    There are a few side effects. Some of them sort of came with the MDS for me. I have diahrrea, but is controlled with imodium. I do have some neuropathy in my hands, but still have all the feeling. They just tingle all the time. I also have tinnitus, which I have always had, but it is more noticeable. Some of the things are results of aging, but I can blame them on the MDS or the drugs. Makes me feel a little bit better, as I do not consider myself old.

:rolleyes:
    I take a 5 mg capsule daily. Started out with 10mg, but was too much for me and reacted to it.
    Naomi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert