MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Revlimed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Laleigh

My husband was diagnosed with Low Grade MDS 12/05. He was on Aranesp for 16 months with good results. He went from 12/05 to 11/06 with 1 blood trans. Now we go about every 3-4 weeks. They took him off Aranesp in April 07 and started Procrit. He did ok, then in Aug. 07, they switched him back to Aranesp. That is when everything went down hill. He did not respond well to the Aranesp and they changed him back to Procrit after about 1 month. Now he does not respond well to either drug. The “real” reason they played with the two drugs has to do with kick backs from the drug companies. I guess now Aranesp gives them a better “deal” on the drug. The doc has been trying to get my husband to start Vidaza or Revlimed. My insurance will not cover Vidaza but will cover Revlimed. He is not sure if he wants to start this medication. We thought we might go to MD Anderson in Houston and see what they have to say. My husband is also a heart patient and the MDS works against his heart as well as vice versa. He has had 17 blood trans since 12/05. He takes EXJADE. There is a GOOD chance that EXJADE is interferring with the Procrit shots. Spoke with the EXJADE pharmacist and they said they have had numerous calls regarding the same.Any ideas from anyone????

Neil

You might wish to discuss switching to Desferal.
    Not as convenient as Exjade but probably no conflict with EPO.
    This is the first time I can recall that there was a problem with EPO and Exjade. Might want to follow up with his doc.

Kirby

Dear Laleigh,
    I’ve been on Revlimid for 14 months, minimal side effects. It’s easy to take, one pill a day.
    It can help the Hgb and RBC in some patients.
    If it doesn’t work then Vidaza could be the next option.

Laleigh

We just had another trans yesterday. This makes 4 since January. We are trying to get a referral to MD Anderson Hospital to see what they have to offer. My husband is considering going on Revlimid. We will wait and see. We went to the conference last year in Las Vegas. Lots of useful info. Have made our reservations to go to DC this year. I’m sure there will be other useful info.

Julia J

My husband will be starting Revlimid this week. He also has Type II Diabetes, Bladder Cancer, COPD. He is 69 and diagnosed with MDS 5q- in the fall of 2006. Aranesp worked for several months until July when he had to have 2 units of blood. He was switched to Epogen weekly which mostly keeps his hemoglobin around 10 with a couple of exception when he had to have more transfusions.
    I am interested in hearing about peoples experience with Revlimid. Especially from people who have multiple medical conditions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert