MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Scared…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Scared…

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ButchL
    Participant

Carrie:

So sorry to hear. If there is anything at all I can do, don’t hesitate. I mean it. You are all in my prayers.

Butch

Donna

I’m really sorry Carrie, I know this is a very difficult time.
    Hang in there.

You mentioned the port being the possible site of infection – I wonder about that too (???). Wasn’t long after mom had hers put in she seemed to get sicker with various infectons that they couldn’t pin point. She had it put in toward the very end. I wonder if this is something they should reconsider when someone is very ill because of the risk of infection. (???)

Donna

ButchL
    Participant

Yes, my wife’s port was the source of a couple of infections as well.

Carrie

Yes, ports should definitely not be inserted unless they need to be. Dad’s was there for 5 years so I guess they thought it was good.

Well, dad is in ICU now (mom thinks it’s because they want to watch his heart). A bed opened up this morning. Mom is going there now so I should hear something soon.

I’m faxing the FMLA paperwork now.

Thank you for all of the support,
    Carrie

Carrie

Not too much news because they haven’t talked to a doctor but I did talk to my sister.
    Dad is responsive. He knows that my mom is there and he nods/shakes his head appropriately.
    His urine output is much better so maybe the Lasix is clearing up the fluid build-up.
    He’s not in ICU yet but they’re getting ready to move him there.
    I’ll post again before 5 EST if I hear something.

Kathryn’s dad is having a rough time again.

Carrie

KATHY1

Carrie,
    Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope his lungs are clearing. When my mom was in the hospital on a respirator the doctors (we felt ) took her off way too soon. They didn’t even wait to find out what was in her lungs before they took her off. All I want to say is DON’T LET THE DOCTORS TALK YOU INTO REMOVING YOUR DAD FROM THE RESPIRATOR. Make sure the lungs are clear. If you have a feeling it’s not the right time then it probably isn’t. Unfortunately for our family the doctors waited until my dad was the only one at the hospital with mom before they took mom off. They knew the rest of us were not comfortable with her coming off. Doctors don’t always know best.
    Keeping you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

Carrie

Kathy,

Thank you! I’ll tell my mom that. What they told us yesterday was that they would keep an eye on him. If his tests and his condition seemed to be better, they’d start to wean him off the respirator.

All –
    They THINK it MIGHT be a pulmonary embolism. I’m so sick of “well… it MIGHT be…”. One doctor said he’s not convinced that it’s an embolism yet.

Dad is still responding and recognizing people. That seems like a good sign.

It definitely isn’t heart failure or a heart attack. He still has a fever. So we’re still in la la land.

If they find out what it is, they might treat him. In some circumstances (a particular kind of embolism), they won’t do anything but wait for his body to heal itself.

I’m more frustrated than sad today.

Thanks for listening,
    Carrie

Terri

Carrier, You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers are going out to your dad.

DonUK

Hi Carrie – my heart goes out to you. Are they treating your dad for all of the “might be’s”? I know it’s an obvious question, but I wouldn’t have thought they should wait for a confirmed diagnosis before beginning some treatment – as a prophylaxis if nothing else.

Best of luck & prayers for you BOTH.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert