MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Stem Cell Transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Stem Cell Transplant

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Zellin
    Participant

My mom just received her diagnosis this week. We are still waiting on some more genetic data but she is being heavily considered for stem cell transplant. Is there anyone that could share their experience with us? How the process was started, complications, recovery, risks? At this point for us, any experiences shared would be appreciated.

rar
    Participant

Hi,

I had a transplant 3 years ago. At the 18 month point I wrote a brief summary of my experience. It is the 3 post at https://www.mds-foundation.org/forums/search/AG-221/ While I still have GVH without the transplant i had a 4% chance of living this long. My doctors always tell me how well I am doing. I have no regrets.

David Spicer
    Participant

Many thanks for posting that, rar, and thanks to Jennifer for starting the thread.

My husband, recently dx’d with MDS, may be facing the prospect of a transplant as well. He’s 67 but has the complication of being a 25-year HIV survivor. We live in NC and will be having a consultation at Duke in several days to see what they can offer.

The combination of these two conditions has some pretty scary numbers in terms of survival, but as you’ve happily reminded us there is cause for hope even in the face of complications and long odds. Best wishes going forward!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert