MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

STILL ON THALIDOMIDE

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board STILL ON THALIDOMIDE

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    diner

Just thought I’d check in with everyone. I’m starting my 2nd month of Thalid. So far no good results but doctor said will prob. take at least 2 mos. I’m still getting red cells transfusions every 2 weeks. The Thalid. makes me feel light-headed and sometimes can’t think clearly, also makes me tired. If it helps raise my red cells I guess I can handle it.
    I am in iron overload and my doctor is starting the process to get me on Exjade. Hope it doesn’t have too many side effects to add to my list.
    Oh well, I’ll continue on. I did have to stop the juicing for awhile. My mouth was a mess and I could hardly eat.
    Dee

CarolineG

Dee,

Good luck with the Thalidomide. I’m sorry to hear of the side effects but if the drug works, it is worth it, isn’t it? I ate an entire fresh pineapple once. My mouth was raw for days afterwards. I couldn’t even taste food. I can only imagine the pain your mouth was in when you were juicing everyday.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Caroline

sugarwhale

Dear Dee,
    My mom took thalidomide for a while, but it worked only for a very short time. She too had side effects. However, the side effects she had were nothing like yours. I wonder if perhaps it’s the iron overload causing your problems. It’s only a question, not an answer. I wish I had a good answer for you. I wish I had a good answer for all of us. You’re in my thoughts, Dee.
    ~~~ Janet

covergirl

Diner,
    FYI – I am on day 7 of Exjade. So far no side effects. Hope it stays that way.
    –cheryl

diner

Thanks Caroline, Janet & Cheryl for your replies. Gosh there’s so many people with such complicated problems. Our bodies are all so different and respond differently. None of us have the answers but it sure helps share.
    I never thought of the iron overload maybe being part of the problem. The side effect I read about on Thalid. were the ones I’m having.
    My mouth is starting to feel better. I’ve been swishing with salt water a lot.
    I had more units of red cells yesterday. I still have the buzzing in my head and I’m so plugged up. I don’t know if it’s from the cold I had or it’s my sinuses. Always something.
    Dee

diner

Cheryl,
    I will be starting Exjade Monday too. I hope I have luck with no side effects like you.
    Dee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert