MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

surgery to remove spleen

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board surgery to remove spleen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Hi everyone, we spent the day meeting the surgeon, then over to hospital for all the pre-op testing. Charlie will have his spleen removed next Wed. morning. They say it has now doubled the normal size. Should be in hospital 3 to 4 days if all goes well.

eve

wishing charlie good luck with his surgery

eve

Harold

Sarah, I know Charlie will do fine with the surgery; he will feel better once the spleen is removed. Good luck.

Sandy M

Sarah,
    I’m praying that all goes well with Charlies surgery, and that he has a very fast recovery, I’m also praying that you’ll get some much neede rest while he’s in the hosp,being cared for by the staff, some time to spend on yourself perhaps, hahaha like a long hot soak in the tub…

sarah

Hi Sandy, I plan to stay with him the whole time. Guess the bubble bath will come later. I am just so worried his counts are so low right now, I don’t want to leave him. I am taking time off work to be there.

gemloyear

Sarah, Charlie will be in our thoughts and prayers.We wish him the best outcome with his surgery on Wed. take care.
    Ellie

kerrylai

Charlie & Sarah
    I wish all of the best for your surgery.

kerry

Terri

Prayers continue, Sarah I will be thinking of you both.

sarah

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It would appear enlarged spleen is not that common with MDS.

eve

sarah

from what i know an enlarged spleen is very common with mds

eve

sarah

Thanks Eve, I just have not seen many on forum that had the surgery to remove spleen. Its like everything with MDS, no two patients are alike I guess.

Terri

Sarah, Actually Bobs was quite large when first dx Doc had put him on the Hydroxurea to try and reduce the size, He stopped it after the second time in the hospital and then I guess the Vidaza did the rest. He checks it each drs visit and so far so good. But I now back when he mentioned the surgery if we got to that point.
    God Bless you both

shirlsgirl

Hi Sarah,

Wishing Charlie best of luck next Wednesday!!

Check out http://www.pdsa.org – if you click on adult discussion group you’ll be able to retrieve alot of posts about splenectomies, people that have had it done, what to expect etc. It’s the Platelet Disorder Assoc. … joined last summer when my mom was told that she had ITP. (in October she discovered it was CMML and ITP)

Take care,

Jody

sarah

Thanks Jody I appreciate the info.

Sandy M

Sarah,
    I can totaly understand about your wanting to stay with Charlie , I never left Joe’s care totaly to the hosp. staff, I just felt like I was able to be helpful even if it was to rub his feet with lotion or to just hold his hand, this illness leaves us feeling sooooo helpless most of the time, it’s nice to be around, but remember to take care of yourself as well, when the times right for you both, think about the soak, (it will do wonders for a stressed body and mind smile )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert