MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Tentative diagnosis of MDS. Help

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Tentative diagnosis of MDS. Help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Marvin

What now. Could I really have it with platelets
    at 94000, wbc 3100, rbc 12.7

Neil

Did you have a bone marrow biopsy?
    MDS cannot be accurately diagnosed without a bone marrow biopsy.

Marvin

Yes; I had a BM biopsy last Fri. I get results this Fri. My numbers seem pretty high, except for the platelets.

choijk

It might be MPD. Myeloproliferative

jga_socal

With all 3 counts below normal, even if only by 10-20%, something is amiss. If you have MDS then it was caught early. So how did the biopsy check out? June, I think the proliferative disease would result in higher than normal counts, right? I hope your Dad is doing well on Vidaza. btw is your dad a candidate for a mini transplant? the nurses in the bmt unit where I lived in January talked about some 70+ year olds who had it done successfully.

Marvin

Bone marrow biopsy came back Negative, and all
    three cell types went up some, but still low. Dr. now thinks its “evolving MDS”. Anyone ever hear of that?

jga_socal

The other thing to look for on a CBC is labeled MCV. This number indicates the average size of your hemoglobin. If the number is above the normal range of 81-99 then it could mean MDS. Apparently the Hgb cells that actually make it from blast to maturity are misshapen and larger than normal. When I was diagnosed with MDS in Jan06 my MCV was 110. I’ve never heard of evolving MDS.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert