MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

The classifications of MDS what they mean?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board The classifications of MDS what they mean?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    txnmomma

I know there are at least 4-5 classifications of MDS. As of yet, my dad doesnt know his. He will know soon tho. I have read that each classific. effects either RBC, or WBC or the platelets. Just still really unsure.

I have read about the classifications, but really not sure what they mean. [in layman’s terms] LOL

Does anyone know about this?? or have some links that can explain it simple terms?

TIA

geebeebee

Hi Wendy,

Here’s a link to info on the American Cancer Society site — it seemed pretty decent:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/conten…5.asp?sitearea=

There is another system, the IPSS system, that attempts to determine at what stage the MDS is at:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/cri/content/cri_2_4_3x_how_is_myelodysplastic_syndrome_staged_65.asp

As many will tell you — the estimated life expectancies are based on a lot of historical data, and doctors have improved the methods by which they can manage MDS. Don’t get too tied up in those — I know when I looked at them when Mom was dx, it was pretty distressing.

I hope that helps, and best of luck and wishes with your Dad.

Take care,

Greg

txnmomma

Thank you!! smile

I will be looking at those links..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert