MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Troy's Home!

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Troy's Home!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    CMH64

My husband Troy (59), had a related allo stem cell transplant on 11/16/04. He was treated at the University of Chicago where we have lived for the last three months. He has the good fortune to be one on only a few dialysis patients to have undergone a SCT. We know of only four others and Troy is the third for this Dr. This center uses a less toxic conditioning protocol(Campath, an antibody, and Melhalan, a chemo)for the transplant. The dialysis is necessary for Troy as the result of an MRSA (another of the supergerms, similar to VRE, as described by Jack on the Dorry’s Illness thread) infection that became septic and damaged his kidneys. He will most likely need dialysis for the rest of his life but we have not given up hope for improvement in his kidney function following the need for anti-rejection meds.

Troy is doing very, very well. Today is day + 80 and he has been allowed to leave Chicago early to return to Kansas City, our home. There is as yet no sign of Graft vs Host, his counts are normal except for RBC, engraftment is above 95%, he is eating and sleeping well and exercising as much as possible with arthritic knees. He has neuropathy in his feet but that is from chemo for AML prior to transplant. He will be seen at the clinic here by the docs that have managed his treatment for AML/CMML since diagnosis in December of ’03. These docs are transplant docs (they did Greg’s Mom’s transplant the same week as Troy’s), but Troy’s insurance does not have a contract with this transplant program. He will return to Chicago several times for BMB’s and follow up appointments.

I offer this update as encouragement to others considering transplant and as information for those that might have kidney failure and think that a transplant is not an option for them. Thanks for the prayers and good wishes that so many of you have offered for Troy. Cathy

Husband: Troy,59, dx AML from undiagnosed CMML 12/8/03, Induction; fungal infection of skin,lungs; remission; 4 consolidations, MRSA sepsis 4/28/04; kidney failure, began dialysis; relapse of CMML, 7/04; related allo SCT, 11/16/05; remission!

Suzanne

How exciting! My hat is off to you both for the courage to try this. Hope all continues to go well!

Marsha

I wish you and Troy continued good health. I am 52 and have CMML. I had a MUD transplant just a few days after Troy’s at UW Hospital and Clinics in Madison, WI. I am doing well except for the fatigue still but that I can live with. I pray that Troy’s kidney function returns as he continues to improve.

sarah

How wonderful! So glad to hear Troy is doing so well. Will continue to keep him in our thoughts and prayers.
    Sarah

geebeebee

Great news from you two! Hope that it keeps pouring in. We’ll all be rooting for you.

Take care,

Greg

Terri

Always good to hear good News.

mommachkate

So good to hear that Troy is doing well. Best of wishes for both of you for the rest and fast full recovery. Kate

Naomi

Great News !!!! It is always great to hear good news. Thanks for sharing
    Naomi

shirlsgirl

Cathy,

Thanks for posting the update on Troy! It’s always great to hear a success story! Just knowing that Troy, Marsha, Greg’s mom and Jimbob have all had a successful SCT/BMT…makes me feel hopeful when/if my mom faces that option down the road.

Take care everyone, Jody

April

That is great!!!! Thank you for the good news..that’s something that we don’t get to hear very often.

B. Greene

So very happy for you. Since we will no doubt be living at the clinic maybe we will see you there.
    Keep up the good work. Barbra

That is really good news and something I needed to hear.

Bill

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert