MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Update on Hans

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Update on Hans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ensnee

I thought I’d post on Hans’ progress, because I think the latest news got buried in another thread.

We found out just three days before Xmas that the chemo along with the experimental drug did not get Hans into remission. (In fact, the study was stopped due to toxic levels of “blood complements” in him. He was only the 2nd person to receive this study drug in Canada. They had to stop until they can figure out what caused this.) His BMB, done 5 weeks post-chemo showed quite a bit of disease still in his marrow.

So far he is feeling good, and apart from the shock of hearing that he will not be able to have the transplant, because they cannot get him into a durable remission from the AML, he is in good spirits. He’s eating well, no fevers, and today his blood counts were really good. His platelets have gone up from 28 last week to 83 today! His HG was 92, so he didn’t need any blood, either. Blasts last week were .13. We didn’t wait around today to hear the official blast count. Next week we will chat with his doctor, and find out if there is any other study going on that he can participate in. Otherwise, they don’t really have anything to give him now.
    He is taking the Esiak caps that Sugarwhale recommended, a Chinese herbal blood tonic in pill
    form, Noni juice, and of COURSE the 1/2 juiced pineapple a day.

We were so devastated at first to hear the news.
    As usual, Hans is making it easy on me by feeling good and having a positive attitude. Our daughter Martha is handling it well, also. There is still a lot of laughter around here! (We have a Caringbridge page, too: http://www.caringbridge.org/me/esme) We are trying to enjoy every day we have together as a family, and it seems to be working. Who knows how many days together we have left? I’m rather proud of us!

many hugs,
    Esme

Suzanne

Thanks Esme, I am so glad you all are enjoying some good days. I guess somethimes you just have to hope that things will work out for the best even if there is no way to know that for sure.I hope those good counts and Hans feeling well continues for a long time!

karenkay

Can’t get to your page.
    I am sorry that the trial didn’t work, but it is inspiring to hear your positive attitude. You are keeping what is important in perspective-LOVE. God bless you and yours always,
    karenk
    ps. I’m proud of you too smile

Kathryn

Hi Esme, keep your positive thoughts in the forefront! Yours & Hans’ attitudes have always been so inspiring…. It sounds like you all are making the most of each day, as we all should. Carpe diem!

You, Hans & your family are in my prayers and healing thoughts & love are being sent your way.

Kathryn

CarolineG

Esme,

I am sorry for your setback. I hope that Hans keeps his good attitude and keeps feeling well for a very long time.

All of you are on my mind and in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Caroline

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert