MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,

I am starting Vidaza next week. Dr. said it would be administered subcutaneously in my thigh or abdomen, can anyone tell me a little more info about the procedure, I have RARS transfusion dependent. Just want to know what to expect, is it very uncomfortable? Would appreciate your responses.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

My husband did Vidaza in this manner several years ago. The injections didn’t really hurt, but the injection sites became sore and the skin peeled. They rotated the site each day. As you can see from my signature, Mike had MDS RARS and this was the only chemo that produced a postive response. He was transfusion free for 15 months and his response was immediate….I believe he may have had 1 transfusion after starting and then no more. When it stopped working for him that was immediate also. Then he tried Revlimid (did nothing) and Dacogen which produced severe side effects with 3 hospitalizations. The last thing he went for was transplant and for him it was the best decision. He has no MDS and he says he has a feeling of well being again.

I wish you all the best with Vidaza. Let us know how it goes!

Mary

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Narf,

You might also want to check out MarrowForums. There are threads on there of people currently on Vidaza and sharing their experiences.

There seems to be more activity there right now.

Give it a try!

Mary

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, I like to have some idea what I’m getting into. I was on Revlimid, it worked for 4 months and then all my counts took a nose dive, and transfusions became more frequent. Anyhow, will keep you posted. I’ve checked the forum in the past and you always have an encouraging word, thanks so much and so glad to hear Mike is doing well!

Fran

Hi Mary,

Doing ok after 2 cycles of Vidaza. Still getting transfusions, however, they are a little further apart, so we’ll see. After last cycle, have two lumps in belly from the shots, very painful. Did Mike experience those and if so, do you mind letting me know what if anything helped?

Hope you & Mike are doing well. thanks!

Fran

satins

Hi all

My name is satin and New members.

Nice to meet you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert