MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

VIDAZA QUESTION

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board VIDAZA QUESTION

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    diner

With the Vidaza treatments, has anyone had their blood counts climb and then drop again? If so, did they climb again. I know you don’t really know a lot until 4 cycles. I’ve just had two and then my blood counts went up about a week off of my 2nd cycle and then dropped back down today. Dee

sugarwhale

Dear Diner,
    My mom had Vidaza for MDS. After about 2 cycles, her blood counts went up to nearly normal. Everything was just fine for about 2 months. Then, sadly, the Vidaza stopped working.The blood counts plunged to what they were. My poor mom is now hoping the Government bureaucrats can find the time in their busy lives to approve Revlimid before my mom dies. The problem with Vidaza is that it works for only a small percentage of patients taking it. I hope you are one of the fortunate few, Dee! Good luck to you!
    ~~~ Janet

sdrake

My dad has CMML and started Vidaza in February of this year. There were positive results after the first round, and we were all very encouraged. He kept doing well for about four months. His white count kept getting lower and lower. When his ANC dropped below 1500 they stopped the Vidaza. His counts all started dropping. His ANC got to around 500, and his rbc to 7.9. The counts slowly started rising again and Vidaza was given at a reduced dose. Dad had two rounds at the reduced dose and his counts got better again. He has had three rounds at the normal dose. His wbc was at 1.0 last week and his ANC down to 580. His rbc and hemoglobin were staying up though. His oncologist said they would wait at least five weeks to start treatment again to let his wbc come back. don’t give up on the Vidaza – the counts seem to fluctuate a lot. We are just hoping the Vidaza continues to work until something better comes along.

Dennis

I started Vidaza in September, and am on the fourth round now. I’ve been transfusion-free for nearly two months (was getting one every three weeks) and with the exception of WBC, everything was in the low end of normal last week. Even the elusive hemoglobin was a robust 12.7, highest it’s been since I don’t know when! (I was “slightly anemic” even before dx).

I don’t have any long-time experience with it, and God willing, a planned BMT will save me from getting long time experience! But as the fellow was heard to say as he fell from the top floor of the Empire State Building, “So far, so good!”

Dennis

diner

Thanks all of you who answered my question about Vidaza affecting my counts. I’m sure hoping it works since I’ve already had a stem cell transplant and the Vidaza is my only choice until as you say, “something better comes along”.
    Appreciate this forum, everyone is so helpful and caring. God bless. Dee

Sandy L

Dee,

I am praying for you. We too are hoping for the new drug to be approved soon. It is my understanding that the counts do drop when you are on the shots but then they start to go back up,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert