MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza Users started this year

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza Users started this year

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kathy G

I know at the beginning of Jan there were several on this board posting about starting Vidaza – how is everyone doing? Have you started the second round? How were your numbers in recent tests?

My Dad started in Jan and he did well with the treatment – he started his second round today so we shall see.

I’d like to hear how everyone is doing.

Kathy G

sarah

Hi Kathy, glad your dad is doing well with Vidaza. Others who have tried it will post soon. Hope he continues to do well.
    Sarah

Carrie

My dad also started in January. As you know, he ended up with a fever for over a week but he’s better. He’ll be starting back on the Vidaza (we think) but at a smaller dose. I’ll know more later.

His counts are still pretty low so they’re keeping an eye on him. He went home last night and he’ll be back to the hospital on Thursday to get his counts checked. Not sure when they’ll do the Vidaza again.

Carrie

Terri

Husband Had six rounds of it last year prior to its approval, His Blast went down to Normal in the Marrow. After 7 months doctor started seeing some of the blast coming back. He has now finished another 3 rounds, he is going to the Dr on Friday. before and now his counts are pretty stable out goal is to get the Whites down, both times prior to starting they were elevated. Trying to get them back into the mid normal range. We use a nutritionist who has Bob on a lot of vitamins and supplements to help boost the immune system etc etc. He is tx free since Dec 2003. I feel we are blessed that he is doing so well.

sarah

Terri, let us know how Bobs appointment goes tomorrow. Hope he is showing improvement. How is the new grandbaby doing?
    Take care,
    Sarah

JulieMarie

Kathy~

My mom is starting round 2 of Vidaza today. First round went ok, but Hemoglobin droped to 7.?, had a blood transfusion and last week at her appointment hemoglobin was a 13! YEAH! Mom’s first round went ok, she still managed to work just about 35 hours that week. She was very tired and was craving icecream, still is. Don’t know why, but hey if she’s hungry for it I’ll buy it at the store:)

Neil

Hi Julie,
    Keep in mind that Vidaza may cause a decline in counts before they begin to increase in most patients.

Kathy G

Julie-
    I hope she does well this round. Dad did pretty good – he finished last Monday and by Friday he was out and about doing the things he likes to do (and some he doesn’t). He manages to eat pretty well and hasn’t dropped any weight. SO far he’s been lucky his numbers have stayed fairly stable – he is not on transfusions just Arasep every other week. They did test his blood every day this time as his platelets got a bit low but they are coming back up.
    Keep us posted on how she does this time.

Kathy

Carrie

Dad’s counts are okay lately. Very slowly climbing. He didn’t need platelets on Sunday.

He has his appointment with his oncologist today. They haven’t scheduled an appointment for his next Vidaza yet.

But, except for that infection and week long hospital stay, he’s doing okay.

Carrie

shirlsgirl

smile Good to hear Carrie! Glad your dad is doing better!

Jody

Terri

Carrie, so happy to hear your dad is doing better.

Andrea

Kathy:

My mom started in December, kinda counts?? She was slated to start her third series today, but ended up with a slight fever. Don’t know the source. If her temp stays down tomorrow, theyll start on Monday. Her counts are pretty good. Last round she did end up with an infection and had to have two units of blood. Platelets are pretty high, we’re pleased about that. Hope all goes well for everyone!

Andrea

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert