MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vidaza – wants to quit – other options?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vidaza – wants to quit – other options?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kel

Dad has been on Vidaza since January, I guess three or four rounds now – the treatments hit him hard…he gets very weak and very nauseous…he hates it to the point he wants to stop. His counts are ok on Procrit weekly combined with the Vidaza and he hasn’t needed a tx since Feb. His WBC were low this last week. He is on BCG for recurring bladder cancer which is also a great source of irritation (literally) all of the things combined are just too much for him. But the alternative (debilitating weakness and potential illness) seem worse. Has anyone stopped Vidaza and tried alternative treatments? His last Marrow test came back “good” – no change – I think that was Late January… He is RARS. Thanks Kelly

Terri

Kel, Bob Did six rounds last year, got his blast down to Normal 5% and none in the peripheal blood. His counts held steady for 7 months, no tx. He got his wkly procrit then The wbc started increasing so dr did a bmb in October and blast were back up to 14% higher then before. WHites were close or over 20 He is about to start his sixth round again but the doctor is spreading them out more instead of every 3 weeks, now every six wks to try and maintain where he is at.
    Bob Has a nutritionist and takes tons of vitamins and supplements. The Vidaza knocks him out too and we were happy when the doctor advised we can do longer stretches in between. Bobs RBC and WBC are now normal and staying normal. Plts today 72 and HGB 10.7. His HGB has not gone below 10 in about a year and a half.

Not sure any of this helps. Talk to your Dad’s doctor and see what he says.
    God Bless

Neil

Hi Kelly,
    Has there been any discussion on reducing his Vidaza dosage to a level that eliminates the nausea?
    Has he had any meds that eliminate/reduce nausea. Thinking of Compazine.
    No tx since Feb is very encouraging. Would look for some answers that would keep him tx independent and still not have weakness/nausea.
    Cant remember his age. Might that be a contributing factor?
    I’m 72, pretty active, but my legs can get pretty tired and the stairs are a challenge at times. Try my best, not to give in. Still exercise to keep some muscle tone and get plenty of rest. Take a multi vitamin, Vitamin C and B Complex.

Kel

Thanks – I haven’t been as thorough as I’d like in documenting things (I have two girls under age 5 at home, so I’m brain-dead!) Dad is 76, has had a kidney removed (’95), recurrent bladder cancer, is a smoker, etc etc. I know the MDS causes marked weakness but the extreme fatigue and nausea are just too much for him. Will ask about lowering the dose or lengthening time btween..and about Compazine. Will keep you posted thanks a milion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert