MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

vitamin and mineral discussion

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board vitamin and mineral discussion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John in GR

I recently received a very interesting discussion from my AA friend Marla Brown. I am passing it on for your consideration.

Hi John:

Here’s a portion of the book I was reading:

“Dr. James Enstrom and his colleagues from the University of California in Los Angeles investigated vitamin intake of more than 11,000 Americans over 10 years. This government-supported study showed that people who took at least 300 mg per day of vitamin C in their diet or in form of nutritional supplements, compared to 50 mg contained in an average American diet, could reduce their heart disease rate up to 50% in men and up to 40% in women. The same study showed that an increase intake of vitamin C was associated with an increased life expectancy of up to 6 years.

“The Canadian physician, Dr. G.C. Willis, showed that dietary vit C can reverse (bold by me) atherosclerosis. At the beginning of his study, he documented the atherosclerotic deposits in his patients by anigography (injection of a radioactive substance followed by X-ray pictures). After this documentation, half of the study patients received 1.5 grams of vitamin C per day. The other half of the patients received no additional vitamin C. The control analysis, on average, after 10 to 12 months, showed that in those patients who received additional vitamin C, the atherosclerotic deposits decreased in 30% of the cases. In contrast, no decrease in atherosclerotic deposits could be seen in those patients without vitamin C supplementation. The deposits in these patients either remained the same or had further increased. Amazingly, this important clinical study was conducted more than 40 years ago and was never further investigated.”

Page 37

Important Nutrients for Optimum Cardiovascular Health

The following cellular bio-energy factors are important to optimize the function of cells that build blood vessel walls and the heart muscle. They should be part of your dietary program in addition to a healthy diet.

~Vit C: protection and natural healing of the artery wall, reversal of plaques.

~Vit E: anti-oxidative protection

~Vit D: optimizing of calcium metabloism, reversal of calcium deposits in artery walls (John FYI calcium is very important in heart function. Maybe you already knew that).

~Proline: collagen production, stability of the artery wall, reversal of plaques.

~Lysine: collagen production, stability of the artery wall, reversal of plaques.

~Folic acid: protective function against increased homocystine levels together with Vit B6, B12, and Biotin.

~Biotin: protective function against increased homosystine levels together with Vit B6, B12, and folic acid.

~Copper: stability of the artery wall by improved cross-linking of collagen molecules.

~Chondroitin sulfate: stability of the artery wall as “cement” of the artery wall connective tissue.

~N-Acetylglycosamine: stability of the artery wall as “cement” of the artery wall connective tissue.

~Pycnogenol: bio-catalyst for improved vit C function, improved stability of the artery walls.

Okay, so that was all copied directly out of the book, the Heart by Matthias Rath, M.D. As usual, it’s mainly for information to take from it what you want. I do the same.

. . . .

John

shirlsgirl

Thanks John,

Funny, when I was pregnant I was very good at taking my vitamins every morning and although I now make sure my daughters take their vitamins everyday….I haven’t taken any myself for a few years. I’m definately starting up Vitamin C and a multi. again…..it’s interesting to see what each vitamin is good for. Chondroitin Sulfate ,Pycnogenol and N-Acetylglycosamine are new to me…are they included in a multi?

Jody

cthomas555

For some of us with hemachromatosis (from blood transfusions), some doctors suggest that hemochromatosis patients should avoid vitamin C altogether. Vitamin C increases the amount of iron your body absorbs.

sarah

Thanks John, very interesting.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert