MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Vitamin D deficiency

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Vitamin D deficiency

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donna
    Participant

Hello…..I am wondering if any of you have had low Vitamin D. My doctor calls me “Pre-MDS”. I recently fractured my thoracic spine coughing and now they have decided I have severe osteoporosis. I saw an endocrinologist who did blood work and found I am Vitamin D deficient and I will be taking 2000 U extra per day. When I looked up to see if there is any relationship to this and MDS, it seems there is. My problem is that I see some sites that seem like they treat MDS with Vitamin D, but other sites lead me to believe that you can become Vit. D deficient when you have MDS and that a lot of MDS patients are low in this vitamin. Have any of you had any experience with this or can you make sense of it if you google it? Just wondering……..Thanks. Donna

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MDS in 2014 officially. I probably had it since 2009. I was vit D deficient. After a stem cell transplant I still take Vit D now. Have been taking it since the transplant in Jan 2017. I have the level checked about every 6 months.

Donna
    Participant

Thanks, Sherry. Is it that you get Vit D deficient because of MDS or is it that Vit D deficiency can make it look like you have MDS? Do you think by my taking the additional Vit D supplements prescribed that it will increase my numbers, like my platelets?
    Donna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert