MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

We lost Dad today

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board We lost Dad today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Sarah9

I know that I’m new to the forum, but I thought that if anyone would understand what happened tonight, people here would.

I received a phone call after 9pm (jan 22) telling me that there was an emergency with Dad and that he had taken a turn for the worse and someone needed to get up to the hospital immediately.

When we got there, the nurses told us that he had gone into respiratory failure and then cardiac arrest. They were able to bring him back, but during the process of moving him back to ICU he coded again. This time his heart stopped for over half an hour before they could bring him back.

He was back on the ventilator and unconscious when we were able to see him. The doctors told us that he suffered massive brain damage during both arrests. He also said the options were slim. We could leave him on the machine and he’d be a vegtable for the rest of his life. We could sign a DNR and wait for him to code again, or just pull him off the machine completely.

We decided to take the machines off. We had discussed it with Dad several times before, and though he continiously said he wanted to live, he also said he did not want to have to survive off of a machine.

Once the machine was taken off, it did not take long at all. It was over a long time before it began – he would have passed sooner, but the doctor wanted us to be able to say goodbye and my little sister had a 2 hour drive to get here. He passed sometime after midnight.

Daddy had gone through a lot these past few years. The ultimate cause for all of this is the vidazia and the rest were just domino effects of the drug.

At least he’s not suffering anymore right? What gets me, though, is he had the oppurtunity to get better – they had found him a bone marrow donor, but he was – and never will be – well enough to receive it.

I just don’t know what to do from here…

Sarah

Marsha

sarah,

My prayers are with you and your family at this time of grief in your lives.

helenma

sarah, I’m so sorry.. Helen

sarah

Sarah, prayers are with you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss. Your cherished memories will help you through this difficult time.
    God Bless,
    Sarah

Donna

I’m so sorry Sarah. Please don’t try to think too far ahead. One day at a time. Your emotions are going to be up and down. Yes, you’re right — he is free from is pain, the suffering is gone. Your dad is in a much better place now. No pain, no machines — he’s free.

Take care,
    Donna

Sarah, I am so sorry for you loss. My prayers are with you and your family.

I know you have been through a rough battle. God Bless You.

geebeebee

Sarah, I’m so sorry for your loss. We’ll all be thinking of you.

Greg

mommachkate

Sarah,I am so sorry ,that you lost your father.I feel your pain. My thoughts are with you. Kate

andrzej g.

I know no words can express your grief, Sarah.
    We all face situations too tragic and too difficult but happenning for real.
    If we were meant to make the world it would have been better, I believe.
    I think I can understand you.
    Respect, Andrzej.

Naomi

Dear Sarah:
    Sorry for your loss. Remember the good times. Take it one day at a time. He has no more pain and suffering.
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    Naomi

B. Greene

Sugh a tragic and sad thing to happen. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I don’t know that we ever forget but it does get better over time. I know I spent a lot of time on the what if’s and eventually decided it didn’t help anyone so I try, and it is hard, to accept that we just do the best we can, with what we can, at that particular time but it is still tough. Hugs, Barbra

Carrie

I’m so sorry, Sarah…
    My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Carrie

LisainOk

Sarah,
    I’m so sorry for your loss:( I lost my dad the day after Christmas. Know that he is in a better place and that the suffering is over. I hope that you can find comfort in that. Many thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

~Lisa

KATHY1

Sarah,
    I too am sorry for your loss. While you know your father’s pain and suffering has ended and he is in a better place the pain you feel in your heart is so real. Just know that it does get easier with time. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

alexandra7
    Participant

I am so very sorry to hear this. But you are so right he is not suffering any more . Now he is among angels watching over you and taking care of you all . May he rest in peace!!!Alexa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert