MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

When is Vidaza treatment absolutely necessary?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board When is Vidaza treatment absolutely necessary?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Philip Fallacaro
    Participant

I have been diagnoses with multiple lineage refractory MDS with very low risk of AML advancement according to bone marrow biopsy report. I have no blasts in blood or marrow. But I do have a chromosomal deletiona and two gene mutations. But I have no major impairment symptoms. My red and white cell count are below normal W-2.9, R-3.2 Hemoglobin is 11.9 and platelets 173. Recently my doctor suggested that I start vidaza treatment. I’m perplexed that i should start a chemotherapy drug with considerable side effects and risk factors. Does anyone know the the “suggested” or “recommended” criteria of danger blood levels to warrant Vidaza treatments? I am currently seaking second opinion from another hematologist to help me answer this. But some of you may have had this dilemma: to start or not to start Vidaza treatments.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

I would seek 2nd and 3rd opinion. Pratt8075@aol.com

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Philip,
    I agree with Sherry, get a second opinion. I was diagnosed last june with low risk MDS-RARS. My Red blood cell count and hemoglobin are similar to yours. My white count is low normal and platelets have been anywhere from 75 to 150+. My doctor has me on watch and wait and has indicated he won’t recommend any treatment until my counts drop more or hemoglobin drops below 10. Everything I have read seems to agree with my dr. He feels that as my numbers have been fairly steady for several months now I may not need treatment for 2-3 years or even longer. I would get a second opinion for sure. Good luck.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert