MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Where to Start

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Where to Start

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alicia Johnston
    Participant

Hello everyone. 2 weeks ago, my oncologist diagnosed me with MDS after a bone marrow biopsy. CBCs showed persistent pancytopenias so the bone marrow biopsy was done to investigate. 9 years ago I had an autologous bone marrow transplant to treat relapsed lymphoma and a huge amount of chemo and radiation, not to mention all of the other drugs that go along with that, between my first and second rounds with cancer. So, my MDS is treatment-related. Initially (2 weeks ago after the BMB), my oncologist had admitted me to the hospital for treatment of AML – although I was not told WHY I was being admitted (it was a whirlwind of a day, let me tell ya!). The admission was jumping the gun to be sure, but he also wanted to make sure he had the room reserved for me. Anyway, once he was able to see the initial pathology from the BMB in more detail he came to let me know that I have MDS and that they wanted to proceed with Stem Cell Transplant and to begin looking for a donor, starting with my sister (she will go for testing this week). I am getting a second opinion (although he has been my Onc. for 11 years and I trust him) because it just all happened so fast, and also because I have questions that have been left unanswered (I don’t know the class, any of the genetic info, etc., but I am guessing by how fast they are moving, it is high-risk). I’m wondering who here has had a successful SCT for treatment-related MDS, how long ago did you have it, what was recovery like, what type of supportive treatments (if any) do you do now? I certainly did not see this-another transplant-coming! Thanks so much.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

Please email me pratt8075@aol.com. Too much to type on here.

Clint Holland
    Participant

Alicia, how old are you as this is relevant to any proposed treatment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert