MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Younger Patient Information

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Younger Patient Information

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Maxwell LaFrance
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m Max, and I’m a 29 year old man that was diagnosed with early stage MDS a few months ago. I’ve read most of the easily accessible information on the internet about the disease, but there’s not much available pertinent to my age range.

If anyone has experience with this situation, or could send some links I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Max

mdsfound

Dear Max, Thank you for your email with information regarding your health. Do you have a copy of our Building Blocks of Hope or 100 Questions and Answers About MDS? Please email me at patientliaison@mds-foundation.org and I will put together an information packet for you. I can also connect you with another young MDS patient for support. I hope this information helps. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Gayle Nicholson
    Participant

I was diagnosed at 32 years old and am now 61. My type is RARS and have had a slow progression so far. i receive regular blood transfusions every three weeks and am doing well with this cancer. When I was told I had this devastating illness, the Doctors thought i would not survive longer than 5 years, but that is not the path I choose for myself. I follow my own path and beat my own drum, as they say. A possitive attitude and faith that this is not yomy self gratification . I perceive my life to be one of healing and helping and I am not done yet. There are many people who could use a hand now and then and I wish to help some of those souls.

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Gayle,
    I am 64 and was diagnosed with RARS a few months ago. From my study this seems to be the mildest form of MDS there is but for you to have survived 31 years with it is pretty amazing from all I have read. How long have you been in some type of treatment? I am on wait and watch right now and hope to stay that way for quite a while, but I know it can change in a hurry. When I see someone like yourself who has survived so long it does give me hope. Thanks for sharing and for all you do.

Maxwell LaFrance
    Participant

Gayle,

It is encouraging to hear that you’ve been able to manage the disease for such a period of time. If I may, I have a couple questions. Have you experienced any of the growth factor treatments? Do you need to do anything to keep your iron levels in check because of the transfusions?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert